• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Distro for using plug as a ulti server, including TFTP  (Read 3018 times)
Baphomet

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

I got my plug quite a few months ago and I've only JUST begun reading the information on it to attempt getting it up and running. In that time, since I've bought it, I began thinking I could use this unit as a multi-server and one aspect I've considered is using it as a PXE/TFTP server. I've seen alot here regarding the use of TFTP booting the plug but nothing I can tell in the way of using the plug in this manner. I know it's a simple protocol, so it shouldn't ave any trouble running it -- Does anyone have any experience or success yet utilizing the plug as a TFTP server? What plug distro would be best suited for this? Are there any bug/compatibility issues with installation or maintaining one on the plug that anyone is aware of? Any recommendations on in-built server functionality or third party tftp apps regarding distro stability? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »

TFTP, the protocol, doesn't place many requirements on the OS environment.  Any Linux distribution that includes sockets and memory management will suffice.  That's pretty much ALL OF THEM. Smiley  I would suggest choosing the distribution based on something else. (memory/flash footprint size, other SW you want to run, clever iconic logo, etc)

As a "boot image server", the plug just needs access to enough static storage (via Ethernet, USB or SDIO) to hold the images it has to serve.

I used an OpenRD-like platform (same Marvell processor) as a "DHCP/BootP/boot image server" for a group of DSPs in a previous project and it worked out well.  This was "homebrew" server software so I'm useless for off-the-shelf SW recommendations.  Sorry.

Mark

andreas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »

The links to uimage and uinitrd in Martin Michlmayrs tutorial (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html) are down... :-(
Does anybody have a new link for me? Thank you

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »

The links to uimage and uinitrd in Martin Michlmayrs tutorial (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html) are down... :-(
Does anybody have a new link for me? Thank you

I updated the links.  Please try again.

andreas

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:52 AM »

thank you very much!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: