• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much space is left after a debian install on the internal flash?  (Read 2349 times)
hungarianhc

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »

As I'm still waiting for the arrival of my sheevaplug, I can't do this myself. But I'm trying to prepare  Grin.

I took an old laptop, wiped it out, and installed debian on a 512MB partition, just to see how much space it would take up. It took up 77% of the space and then installing SSH and a couple other tools brought it up to 91%. So... that's not so great :-). Has anyone experimented with emdebian (http://www.emdebian.org/ ), the embedded version? I'd really like to get the bulk of my sheevaplug installed on the internal flash to keep the speed up. I'm going to put the swap on the SDHC card. Are the files smaller when compiled for ARM?

And... that's a lot of questions. Thanks!

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »

Hi,

I have not installed Debian on my plug but Ubuntu (ubifs) and it took 41% of the flash space. The Debian installation should be about the same size.
Your trial to install Debian on a laptop is not a good example since it installed X (I assume) which is huge and you did not compress it (jffs2,ubifs...)
Regarding swap, not sure you even need it, you have 521MB of RAM.

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:29:45 PM »

I did not install X... i did a barebones net installation. What is this compression that you speak of?

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:03:55 AM »

For the record, I run my fairly heavyweight servers on the Sheeva with no swap.

Rgds

Damon

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:12 AM »

jffs2,ubifs are compression techniques used for rw RFS, ubifs has the best performance currently and compression ratio of 1:~3.
If you remove all apt cache you will end with even less than 41%, I got 31% after cleanup.
root@ubuntu:~# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                 251M     0  251M   0% /lib/init/rw
varrun                251M   36K  251M   1% /var/run
varlock               251M     0  251M   0% /var/lock
udev                  251M  116K  251M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 251M     0  251M   0% /dev/shm
rootfs                460M  140M  315M  31% /

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:06:30 AM »

got quite a few packages on mine, but 40% free still

vioan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:00:57 AM »

I only want to ask, why do you bother with installing debian on internal flash, when you can install debian on an external SDHC card, and keeping the default ubuntu installation (updated of course) just in case, to have it there. They are cheap, you can buy 4-8 giga for a few Euro. Or maybe I am wrong, then, ignore me  Grin

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:10 AM »

got quite a few packages on mine, but 40% free still
Are you using ubifs as well? Or some type of compression?
I only want to ask, why do you bother with installing debian on internal flash, when you can install debian on an external SDHC card, and keeping the default ubuntu installation (updated of course) just in case, to have it there. They are cheap, you can buy 4-8 giga for a few Euro. Or maybe I am wrong, then, ignore me  Grin
Oh no that's actually a pretty useful idea. I just want to run a very lean, fast install. SDHC is slower than the internal flash. I want to put Debian on the internal flash. And furthermore, I have no use for Ubuntu!

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »

Yes, UBIFS.  Why do I use internal NAND?  Because it's about 2x faster than the fastest SDHC card, and SDHC is a who world of hurt getting something that works fast AND reliably.,.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: