• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What about Open U-Boot for SheevaPlug ?  (Read 4219 times)
carlos

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:27:55 AM »

Looking at the problems with uboot versions 3.4.19 to 3.4.25, has anybody tried to use Open U-Boot mentioned in the Wiki ?
With the Marvell specific git repository it should be easy to use, i guess.

Does anybody has any experience with it ?
Regards

Carlos

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »

I did.  The USB works very well.  I haven't tried too many other things.  I decided to remove it because I didn't have time to look at the MAC address problem.

carlos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:20:38 AM »

Can you please explain what's the problem with the MAC address ?
Thanks

Tom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »

I tried Open U-Boot 2009.08-00285-ge1c35ea (Oct 21 2009 - 16:20:03) a few weeks ago. It was an already compiled version given by a forum member. This u-boot was only 170kB and did only support fatload, no ext2load. Because I boot from an external usb hdd I had to resize my partitions to build an additional FAT32 partition to hold the kernel files. I could fatload the uInitrd but the uImage run into a "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e1a06003" when starting the file alteration monitor (FAM).

I also recognized that the open u-boot does the same spin down at reset as the former Marvell u-boot. After that the disk does not spin up until usb start (exactly when "scanning bus for storage devices..." is executed). After a while the message "Device NOT ready" with the following rows occured:
Request Sense returned 00 00 00
1 Storage Device(s) found

So for me the same usb problem in open u-boot and Marvell u-boot. To boot properly I must power on the plug and my external usb hdd at the same time. A reset from u-boot prompt or from Debian results in a not recognized storage device.

Afterwards I switched back to Marvell u-boot 3.4.19 and the kernel boots without any problem (if plug and hdd are powered on at the same time) regardless whether I fatloaded the kernel from the FAT32 partition or ext2loaded the kernel from the ext3 rootfs partition.

From my experience I could not really recommend to switch to open u-boot. Though maybe things have changed meanwhile.

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »

The MAC address problem I had was that the value of  ethaddr does not get set at boot time and the hardware address via an ifconfig shows 00:00:00:00:00:00.

I had no problem with USB.  On all of the other u-boot's that I tried usbstart worked every other time.  On cold or warm boots.  This one worked for me every time.

Tom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »

hammerinhank,

which Open u-boot versions have you tested? Did you use an usb stick or an usb hdd? If hdd, what model?

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »

I used this:  http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Das_U-boot_plug_support  to create a version.  I used openocd from http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Setting_Up_OpenOCD_Under_Linux  to test it using method 1. to boot and check it out.  Then burned it.

I tried  both USB stick and hdd.  The hdd was a Maxtor 160 gig drive. 

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: