• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Android on the Plug?  (Read 5374 times)
plugcrazy

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »

Anyone thought about porting Android to the plug? I know Android is running on several ARM processor based systems.
- PlugCrazy

minioak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:15:53 AM »

I tried this, but there was too many android specific patches to the kernel required - and my small brain couldn't work through them all. I tried it with the linux kernel I had working with other distros, but it failed on boot complaining about missing shm devices - something the Android kernel specifically makes changes to.

I've no time at the moment to dig any deeper with working out the android kernel patches that would be required, but I'm sure someone will eventually.

Regards

John

plugcrazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 01:17:24 PM »

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. I havent personally tried the porting myself, but looks like there are some shared memory spaces that need to be assigned in the plug. Is this something that is seen in the command line?

Integration with DisplayLink (another thread here, and frankly I heard of the DisplayLink technolgy only on this forum) and android makes it a very compelling Kiosk platform.  The Plug is an awesome platform, it needs the right mix of app and device support now.

Still waiting for my plugs :-(
- PC

maddogjetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »

I am a big android fan as well.
I think of android as an OS geared towards UI related problem domains, so I was wondering what apps you see playing on a plug with Android?

If the device had more media-related ports (HDMI/Audio), maybe I could see attraction (for things like set-top box or media server like a Boxee-Box).
...just wondering?

plugcrazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »

Hi,

I envision that Android could be compiled so that the UI  is accessed as a web-interfaces instead of a directly connected UI. So instead of needing an HDMI or some other UI interface directly attached to the plug the apps can be accessed remotely. Not sure if this is something that can be done on Android right now. But it should be a model that should be supported. This way I can have a single repository of all the apps while consuming them from web-tablet based systems like picture frames, e-screens for your refrigerator etc.

But going by whats being done with Guruplug and similar, its just matter of time that Marvell comes out with a HDMI integrated plug. The need is definitely there. Oh! And you always have the DisplayLink support which might be just the interface to proof-out your product and then build out a complete system.

Thanks,
- PC.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:06:41 PM by plugcrazy » Logged

pic.micro23

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »

I would like to run android too but i don't know if that's possible.

Here are some efforts of porting android to a ARMv5 from openmoko
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Android
http://www.newlc.com/en/freerunner-mobile-which-support-android-cupcake
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Android_porting

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: