• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using LVM with Debian  (Read 1792 times)
hungarianhc

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:16:25 AM »

Hi there,
I've been playing around with Debian a bit, and I'm curious if anyone has used LVM with the sheevaplug. It seems to me that we could use LVM to make a logical volume spanning both the internal flash as well as the SDHC card in order to get better speed and a larger disk space to work with. By "better" speed, I mean a speed in between that of the SDHC card and the internal flash. Has anyone done this?

I'd "do it myself" but globalscale sure is taking their sweet time with my order!

torpesco

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »

I recently set up Debian with LVM, though my main goal is to use it with a couple external drives.  While I used LVM on my SD card, I'm using only the SD card as the physical layer in that volume group -- not using NAND at all (aside from the bootloader, of course).

I installed a 16G SDHC card and still have 14G free, so the extra ~512M isn't really useful to me.

You've probably already found this, but I followed these steps for loading Debian:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html

I don't recall having an option to use both NAND and SD -- just one or the other.

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:25:32 AM »

Hmm as far as using one or the other... in debian's partition manager, you can tell it to create a logical volume that spans two physical devices. That's what i'm hoping to do with the internal flash and the SDHC card.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »

afaik internal flash is not represented as a normal block device. So you won't be able to use it in LVM

torpesco

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:44:40 AM »

One thing I do know is that when I was first playing around, I got the SheevaPlug to boot off SD using basic steps of copying the filesystem on NAND to the SD card and then booting from SD... then I had the bright idea to try mounting the filesystem off of NAND.  The simple act of mounting the file system managed to corrupt something and I was left with a working u-boot but could not boot off of either NAND or SD.  For that reason, I'm not about to try doing anything with NAND while running off a plug booting from SD.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: