• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seedbox  (Read 7568 times)
LordAzuzu

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »

Hi there Smiley

I bought a couple weeks ago a Sheevaplug, and after struggling a bit to make it work the way I want,
I'm here to report a fully functional Bittorrent Seedbox! Smiley
Based on ubuntu 9.04/rtorrent/rutorrent, works like a charm!
The hard drive used (powered only by the usb port) is a WD 120gb sata 2.5" fitted in a small aluminium usb case.
Guess a bigger hard drive wouldn't spin, but that's big enough for my needs Cheesy
Just here to share the experience, I could actually try to write an how-to about it, maybe someday Wink
If anyone needs suggestions, I'm here.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:55:15 AM »

Great.
A howto, or a wiki page would be excellent; someday Smiley

I'm moving the thread to 'Success Story'

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »

Grin Yes please. A Wiki would be fantastic and a great help. I've tried to set up rTorrent, but I've struggled to get it working correctly.

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:20:08 AM »

You're such a tease LordAzuzu.  Roll Eyes

GrandMasta

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »

I have setup my lighttpd/rtorrent/rutorrent successfully, but the rutorrent interface is deathly slow. I have 200+ torrents loaded but memory usage and CPU usage are good so i'm not sure the culprit... really driving me nuts. Only thing I can think is that its the SD Card root.... if anyone else has similar results please reply.

**Figured it out, the client was running great! turns out it was AdBlock for chrome totally screwing my rutorrent performance. Whitelisted my local server and all is good! whew!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:19:11 PM by GrandMasta » Logged

Sheevaplug. Debian on 4gb SDHC Class 4, 1.5TB Extern.

ruivilela

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:35:43 AM »

I have setup my lighttpd/rtorrent/rutorrent successfully, but the rutorrent interface is deathly slow. I have 200+ torrents loaded but memory usage and CPU usage are good so i'm not sure the culprit... really driving me nuts. Only thing I can think is that its the SD Card root.... if anyone else has similar results please reply.

**Figured it out, the client was running great! turns out it was AdBlock for chrome totally screwing my rutorrent performance. Whitelisted my local server and all is good! whew!

Try reducing the number of loaded torrents to half for example. Put them in a waiting folder. Maybe the program doesn't handle well so many.

GrandMasta

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »

looks like I should be able to handle upwards of 1000 torrents, as my memory load is 67MB(whole system) with 223 torrents and load is 0.28 0.15 0.10 right now.

hypn0toad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »

awesome idea.  i often need to restart ushare (its a bit crappy) and dont necessarily feel like puttying in... but i am always on gchat

can you share the code / better instructions on how you did it?

as for other commands.. maybe messing with an external drive (unmount / mount)
i'd probably expand it so that i can control Direct Connect stuff with it too... although the hash problem i've been having makes it more useless...

anyways can i see what you have?

hanker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »

I got this working yesterday. Sheevaplug with a 640 GB SATA hard disk in an IcyDock enclosure on a powered USB hub. It wasn't too difficult.

The short form of the guide is as follows:

Install Debian Lenny to NAND flash using ESIA. Enable the "contrib" and "non-free" Debian repositories.

Copy the Debian installation to SDHC card using the instructions at

http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/SD_Card_As_Root_File_System

under "Create a bootable file system on the SD card"

NOTE: you can create a bootable backup of the SDHC card using rsync:

# rsync --stats --progress -a --delete /media/sdhc_01/ /media/sdhc_02

Restart the plug, interrupt its boot at the Marvell>> prompt using the serial terminal. Enter this text at the Marvell>> prompt:

mmcinit; setenv bootargs_root root=b301; boot

and hit enter. The Sheevaplug will boot from SDHC.

Follow the guide here

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-installing-rtorrent-and-rutorrent-on-debian-based-linux-393861

to install rtorrent/rutorrent. Works fine.

Got about 150 torrents running, Load average: 0.05 0.08 0.05, 71/501MB memory usage.

GrandMasta

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »

Update on my setup, running great all year.
rTorrent/Lighttpd/ruTorrent

SheevaPlug
Debian SDHC 4gb SD card root.
1.5TB USB

rTorrent: 1895 Torrents loaded.
Memory Usage: 265/503MB
Load average: 0.47 0.53 0.44

get random crashes here and there, going to start pruning torrents. Finding the limit of rTorrent and not the Sheevaplug. Overall _VERY_ happy with what this plug has/is accomplishing!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: