• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Upgrade to karmic  (Read 4911 times)
ebp

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »

Hi

I would like upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 on my sheevaplug. I have tried to run "do-release-upgrade -d", but it says there's not enough space. Is there another way to upgrade?

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:14:26 AM »

I recommend not doing this since Karmic is armv5 today but would be soon armv6+vfp distro; that the plug wouldn't be able to run.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »

Does this mean we will NEVER be able to run a newer Ubuntu than 9.04?   Seems rather odd...  Why would Ununtu ARM team make such a move???

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:49:18 AM »

i don't know why they won't support armv5; but regardless there is a ton of other distros that supports armv5.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:53:29 AM »

What is the difference between armv6+vfp and armv5?

Is this some kind of ARM processor instruction support or something?

IS there anything that will still use apt-package manager?  Debian ARM port or something?  I find it bizzare that they are dropping support for new products out.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:56:09 AM by mgillespie » Logged

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »

armv6 has some CPU instructions that armv5te can't do. And the sheevaplug doesn't have VFP.

darkscout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 01:26:19 AM »

Good ole Ubuntu, you've all had a good rumspringa, but it's time to come home.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 02:13:18 AM »

It's unfortunate, Debian seems stuck in the old ways, there is alot right with Ubuntu, and Debian can learn from it...  After switching, every now an again I spot differences, and it nearly always not as good in Debian. (and the Debian community support sucks badly, if you ask a newbie question, you get slated or looked down upon, in the Ubuntu world, people are more sympathetic and almost always happy to help out).

darkscout

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »

It's unfortunate, Debian seems stuck in the old ways, there is alot right with Ubuntu, and Debian can learn from it...  After switching, every now an again I spot differences, and it nearly always not as good in Debian. (and the Debian community support sucks badly, if you ask a newbie question, you get slated or looked down upon, in the Ubuntu world, people are more sympathetic and almost always happy to help out).

I suppose I've never had any luck with the Ubuntu community and more with the Debian. Then when I need to ask for help, the question is so high level most of the Ubuntu community is at a loss. And there isn't a 'newbie' level question that I've come across that couldn't be answered by Google. After a while hearing the same question over and over is a bit tiring.

I guess I don't see what Ubuntu has that debian doesn't. If you want rock solid, Debian stable is just that. If you want cutting edge, Debian Sid is almost always newer than Ubuntu's latest because Ubuntu decides to lock to a release until the next version.

In addition, the problem highlighted right here. So Ubuntu supports i386 and amd64 and ppc and the latest armel but what about my alpha, avr32, hppa, hurd-i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, s390 and sparc? In addition the latest amazing feat: FreeBSD Kernel on amd64 and i386. Wonder Twin Powers Activate: apt-get & ZFS.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: