• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SMBFS and module.dep  (Read 2342 times)
madmike

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2009, 09:24:31 AM »

Hi,
I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I am a relative novice with Linux but I sucessfully moved my Sheevaplug's linux installation to an SD card and ran updates according to the WIki's how-to. All was well, and I have installed packages, configured TCPwrappers etc until I tried to install SMBFS. Following instructions on how to do this, I used apt-get to get  the package and then got as far as running

modprobe smbfs

when I get the following message
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.18/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Looking in /lib/modules I see that there are no files or directories and mounting the original nand fs shows the same there to. Searching within the forums here and elsewhere, I have seen people with similar problems, but I haven't really understood the threads enough to be able to fix it. Could someone explain to me in nube terms what I need to fix this please?

Many thanks.

kilowatt
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »

run

depmod -a

Then try modprobe again.

madmike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »

When i run "depmod -a" I get the following

WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.22.18: No such file or directory
 FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.22.18/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory

:-(

kilowatt
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »

The original file system and kernel shipped with the plug are pretty stripped down and doesn't have the kernel modules.  You would probably be better off if you upgrade your kernel and FS with the SheevaPlug installer 1.0 and work from that.

madmike

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:00:08 AM »

Fair enough, so I tried to use the 1.0 installer: ARRGHHH!!

- Firstly in the instructions it told me to edit a file installer\uboot-custom.txt with my real MAC address
  (evenually I worked out that it meant the file uboot\uboot-env\uboot-mmc-custom.txt       -                is this correct (for an MMC install)?
- Next problem is the bit where it says to move some files to the root of the work area: I couldn't find uImage.initrd only initrd:
  is initrd in the installer directory (3258KB) the file that is meant?
- Finally when I run "runme mmc" the output ends with

Error: JTAG communication failure: check connection, JTAG interface, target power etc.
Error: trying to validate configured JTAG chain anyway...
Error: Could not validate JTAG scan chain, IR mismatch, scan returned 0x00. tap=feroceon.cpu pos=0 expected 0x1 got 0
Warn : Could not validate JTAG chain, continuing anyway...
Error: unexpected Feroceon EICE version signature
Error: unexpected Feroceon EICE version signature

regardless of which set of values (old or new plug)  I put in the uboot\openocd\config\interface\sheevaplug.cfg directory.

I have looked around the forum and seen people with similar problems but cannot deduce a solution from there information. Could someone please help a ver lost linus NUbe? SOme extra info:

- When I connect to the SHeevaplug using putty on COM4, I can get to the console successfully and login, so I know the serial connection is working.
- TestLibUsb gives the info on the Sheevaplug as

bus/device  idVendor/idProduct
bus-0/\\.\libusb0-0001--0x9e88-0x9e8f     9E88/9E8F
- Manufacturer : FTDI
- Product      : SheevaPlug JTAGKey FT2232D B

Could someone please help?Huh!?

Ta.

madmike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »

I started to Google around to find a solution and came across some instructions to install Debian onto a Sheevaplug at

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/index.html

Apart from 1 minor mistake right at the very end, it was much more straight forward and simplke even for me to follow!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: