• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Deluge (Torrent Box)  (Read 9044 times)
plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »

OK! Success. I've got Deluge up and running (with web-GUI) on the plug, with a terabyte of storage.

Works like a charm, and was easy to install using apt-get. Smiley

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »

congrats Smiley
was that using default uImage and Ubuntu rootfs or custom?

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »

Thanks! That's with the most recent (0409) uImage, but still the version of the rootfs that came on the installation CD. I did an apt-get update, and then used apt-get to install Deluge, and after that it was all run-of-the-mill Linux configuration.

Oh, I did go ahead and give myself a nice big swap partition on the USB disc. And I got rid of the tempfs on the var apt stuff.

I'm actually rather pleased with the out of the box Ubuntu rootfs.

The other thing was samba -- to get things rolling, I shared my new empty torrent directory, and copied my stuff over the local network. I moved thirty gig or so at a constant rate of 25 megabytes / second.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:54:56 PM by plugit » Logged

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 02:47:43 AM »

I'm setting up the same thing. Moving 900GB took over a day at a slow 12MB/s (source computer has 100Mb connection).

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:35 AM »

After a weekend of testing, I've decided that Transmission, plus this frontend (if you're using Windows):

http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/

is preferable to Deluge on the Sheevaplug, simply due to CPU utilization. Deluge uses all the CPU when performing any of it's more intensive operations (such as, say, getting a list of torrents), whereas Transmission rarely hits 50%.

Just my opinion, of course.

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »

I was able to install deluge using apt-get, but I get the following error when starting the daemon:

Code:
root@debian:~# deluged -d
[ERROR   ] 15:49:01 main:207 No module named libtorrent
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/main.py", line 204, in start_daemon
    Daemon(options, args)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/core/daemon.py", line 54, in __init__
    from deluge.core.core import Core
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/core/core.py", line 57, in <module>
    import libtorrent as lt
ImportError: No module named libtorrent

I posted in the deluge forums, but their people aren't very helpful. I might just try transmission then, since it looks like they have a webui...

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:20:05 PM »

After a weekend of testing, I've decided that Transmission, plus this frontend (if you're using Windows):

http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/

is preferable to Deluge on the Sheevaplug, simply due to CPU utilization. Deluge uses all the CPU when performing any of it's more intensive operations (such as, say, getting a list of torrents), whereas Transmission rarely hits 50%.

Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks for that link! I like transmission, install with its dependencies was less than 2MB. Install of deluge w/ its dependencies was over 100MB! I really wasn't happy about that, so thanks for pointing this one out.

Apparently the cli version lacks a lot of the features of the gui version, but it sounds like they're porting that over.

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:30:26 PM »

The CLI version is ultra-minimal, but I'm assuming that SheevaPlug experamentalists are OK with minimal. Smiley

That Windows remote frontend I posted is actually a lot like uTorrent. It's really nice.

passive

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »

I'm very interested in this thread. I just got my SheevaPlug, and I'm planning to use it as a media downloader/server. I have a regular tower that's been serving this purpose up until now (serving over NFS/Samba mostly, but I've been experimenting with DLNA recently), so as soon as I get an external enclosure, I'll be ready to go.

I'll probably start with Deluge, just because of my familiarity with it, and my fondness for Python, but hopefully some work can be done to bring done it's CPU utilization.

I'll share any interesting results I have around this, and probably start another thread to discuss serving media from it.

Thanks!

Blazer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 01:07:24 AM »

You may want to give TorrentFlux a try. Has a great GUI and uses transmission on the backend.

Gothnet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 05:51:36 AM »

You may want to give TorrentFlux a try. Has a great GUI and uses transmission on the backend.

Make sure it's torrentflux-b4rt you look at. TF doesn't have as much in the way of flexibility, IIRC, and I'm not sure it can use transmission.

The combination I've been using on my NSLU2 for a while now has been lighttpd web server running torrentflux-b4rt with transmission and sqlite for its database, with mediatomb doing the UPnP media serving to my PS3.

Note you will have to download tfb from the web as it is not part of any repositories I know of. Not really a problem as TF and TFB haven't had an update in around a year now.
Also you will have to build a custom version of the transmission client that gives out progress information to tfb. Instructions can be found on the tfb forums.

[EDIT] I meant to add - this is a good, low resource solution. It pushes at the limits of the NSLU2 with its 32MB of memory and 266MHz  processor, but I've had it running on the sheevaplug very, very nicely.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:55:09 AM by Gothnet » Logged

oler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »

Hi all
I got myself a plug an i want to use it as a torrent box to stream to ps3.
Could somebody explain to me how to install transmission to the plug and a program to stream to ps3?
I have updated and upgradet via apt-get.
Is it possible to set the download location to the usb port from the uTorrent like app or do you have to do that after installing transmission?
thx already

--Oler

dcherryholmes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:24:08 PM »

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll say that I'm using rtorrent + screen on my sheeva.  Sorry that I don't have any CPU utilization benchmarks, but it is probably the lightest client out there, as well as being very configurable.   I've always used it in the past precisely because it was an all command line method, but I also should add that I'm very impressed with rtGui.  The ability to control it, including adding new torrents and deleting finished ones, from any web browser anywhere is pretty handy.

Gothnet

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:12 AM »

Hi all
I got myself a plug an i want to use it as a torrent box to stream to ps3.
Could somebody explain to me how to install transmission to the plug and a program to stream to ps3?
I have updated and upgradet via apt-get.
Is it possible to set the download location to the usb port from the uTorrent like app or do you have to do that after installing transmission?
thx already

--Oler

Simple case -

apt-get install transmission-cli mediatomb
edit the /etc/mediatomb/config.xml file to enable ps3 support (instructions are in the file). Your plug will now appear, as if by magic, on the PS3 menus.

Better, in my opinion, is torrenflux-b4rt. It provides a nice web interface for torrenting, though setup is a little more involved. Full instructions available from the site (google it), but you basically need to:

apt-get install php5-cgi php5-cli php5-sqlite sqlite php5 lighttpd python2.5 python2.5-minimal

You'll need to mess around with lighttpd config to enable php, maybe mess with the php config files to use sqlite, then just dump tfb in /var/www and go to http://<plug address>/config.php to do the setup. It comes with a custom version of BitTornado but if you want to be more careful with your resources then you'll need to build a special version of the transmission client. For which you'll need a C compiler, amongst other things.

Come back to me if you get that far Smiley

oler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »

I went for the second option.
I installed everything and my plug gives me a webpage now.
What's next?

--Oler

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: