• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: The alternative Debian install method.  (Read 54514 times)
littlebigman

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2013, 06:55:05 AM »

I'll add a reply since there's no Edit option:

On Mint logged on as root, after running the script as root, I tried copying the /debian directory to a USB keydrive connect to the PC, but it fails with "Cannot create symbolic link: "/media/USBKeydrive/debian/bin/<some program>': Operation not permitted".

So I targzed the script + ./debian directory, unplugged the USB keydrive, plugged it into the SheevaPlug, SSHed to it, untargzed the file, re-ran the script for Stage2, and I'm prompted to install some packages:
root@debian:/tmp# ./DebianSheeva1-6.sh
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  binutils wget
Suggested packages:
  binutils-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  binutils debootstrap wget
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1706kB of archives.
After this operation, 10.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y

... at which point I prefered to hit CTRL+C to make sure I'm not about to break it: What does the Alternative Debian install method really do?

Does it replace Ubuntu 9.04 with Debian Squeeze? Does it take care of upgrading the boot loader as well? Or is it meant to get used with the SheevaPlug Installer?

Thank you.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »

Updated the script and prebuilt images today with the latest Debian Wheezy (7.3).   Also posted a complete ready to go ESIA application image with Linux 3.0.60/Wheezy7.3

I would recommend running this with DenX U-Boot 2013.10-rc1-00034-g2b26201
(not created/compiled by me, but I have put it in the same mediafire directory, incase it disappears from the web in the future)

Tested it all out on my original Globalscale Sheevaplug, which aside from a powersupply replacement has turned out to be a very trusty and reliable bit of kit.

Once loaded, don't forget to change the password, create new ssl keys, flash the latest sheeva kernel using the update script:

http://www.xilka.com/sheeva/kernel/UPDATE-KERNEL.sh

and pick up the latest Debian package updates with an apt-get update.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:23:49 AM by mgillespie » Logged

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2013, 03:29:28 AM »

Link is the same as usual (so save you scrolling back to page 1).

http://www.mediafire.com/sheeva-with-debian

mhtsaras

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »

I have the plug for some years now, booting from sd card debian wheezy, i have some old sd rootfs.tar.gz back ups that can extract to sd card if something is wrong.
I tried to get a fresh new copy and formated a partition on sd card, created inside the rootfs.tar.gz   with DebianSheeva1-7.sh script, copy to a usb disk attached with plug and extract it from the usb disk to the sd partition
I reboot and I try to connect with putty (from another lan computer) get the login screen and type  user: root   password:nosoup4u , I get "acess denied"
I reset the password from shadow file reboot--user:root-password:<enter>--"acess denied"
Can rootfs.tar.gz be used like this, meaning , extract and get it work;; or I am doing something wrong?
I also can boot form plug's internal memory if I pull the sd card and reboot so I do some stuff but not get the generated rootfs from your script....
Thanx in advance!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to: