• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone in Australia got one of these?  (Read 3160 times)
Takigama

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »

I've been watching the sheevaplug for some time with a certain amount of envy... (i have nslu2 running debian).

I'd really like to get one but the cost of shipping them to Australia by Globalscalewhoever is $119 (more then the plug)... i can only assume they think Australia is on the moon, cause i think i can get a cargo pod on the next shuttle into space for around the same price (im being facetious).

The ionics one is not too bad for shipping, but it looks like a different model (no jtag/serial usb port)?

There are other retailers of plug-like devices (pogoplug for example) but all of them are kinda out of the question..

Reedy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:59:34 AM »

http://www.newit.co.uk

They're now listed as the UK partner, and want just under 20 to ship to australia it seems

Might be better Smiley

Has a sticker on it, but has the debug stuff still... Pretty much the same it seems Smiley

And have stock for same/next day despatch

davall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:51:03 AM »

Ordered on newit.co.uk 4 days ago a system with ubifs preinstalled. Delivered from UK to Germany? Today!!! Incredible.

Greets, davall

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:51:56 AM »

I've been watching the sheevaplug for some time with a certain amount of envy... (i have nslu2 running debian).

I'd really like to get one but the cost of shipping them to Australia by Globalscalewhoever is $119 (more then the plug)... i can only assume they think Australia is on the moon, cause i think i can get a cargo pod on the next shuttle into space for around the same price (im being facetious).

The ionics one is not too bad for shipping, but it looks like a different model (no jtag/serial usb port)?

There are other retailers of plug-like devices (pogoplug for example) but all of them are kinda out of the question..

How about New Zealand? Mine was US$135. I agree with you about the US thinking Australia is on the moon. Heck, most of them think Europe is a country.

It's worth it though. You should consider the Ionics one. But, if you do, I'd wait a little while before ordering. I've ordered via their site, but haven't received any form of acknowledgement or confirmation yet, even though they've quite happily taken my money. I think their business is a mess right now. They seem VERY disorganised (just look at the order system - Wanna buy a couple hundred Ionic plugs for US$35 anyone? Heh, heh)  so I do wonder about them.

Globalscale were great though, but the Ionics plugs have sex appeal.

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:05:18 AM »

Actually, given the lack of plug's in AU, i'd almost be tempted to buy quite a few and sell them off over here (assuming i had the ability to do it).

What I dont get though is where that (global's) number comes from. The company i works for ships 3ru disk storage boxes from the US (not in huge numbers so we dont get any special pricing), they weigh in at a pretty large number and are physically quite big. Sent via fedex they cost around $90 for 3-5 day time frames.

As for newit, the conversion factor on the cost of the unit is almost double so all up it ends up as:
Global, $232AU
Newit, $190AU
Ionics, $147AU

Arguably, I wouldn't have to pay VAT for the newit ones but their site doesnt say whether they actually drop VAT for international orders or not. The ionics site is a bit light-on with details about whats actually being ordered as well cause theres apparently 3 versions of their plug and one does have a jtag port but it sounds like a special order.

My third option is to get a friend coming form the states in a few weeks to bring the global one with him for me, but what i've read about global scale suggests that their plugs arrive either in 2 days or 6 months, so it could be a case of "tough luck" if it arrived after he left. They look incredibly useful though, I could forsee so many useful applications for them (most of them require two though).

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:14:26 AM »

As for newit, the conversion factor on the cost of the unit is almost double so all up it ends up as:
Global, $232AU
Newit, $190AU
Ionics, $147AU

Arguably, I wouldn't have to pay VAT for the newit ones but their site doesnt say whether they actually drop VAT for international orders or not.

We do drop the VAT for international business customers, but the British TAX office requires us to obtain the purchasing company's VAT code and business address to verify before we quote and then sell.  If you require a quotation for a quantity to be shipped to Aus please contact sales@newit.co.uk. Smiley

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »

I'd really like to get one but the cost of shipping them to Australia by Globalscalewhoever is $119 (more then the plug)... i can only assume they think Australia is on the moon

Are you sure that the price isn't US$119 including the Fed-ex charge?

As I've already said, mine cost US$99 plus the Fed-ex charge of US$32.76 giving a total charged of exactly US$131.76.

I still think delivery from the US (and the UK often, but not always) is extortion. US businesses just have no idea about cheap tracking systems like the rest of the world uses, and that's a shame as I buy most of my stuff via Asia direct now rather than the US.

Are you sure you've got the correct pricing?

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »

I'd really like to get one but the cost of shipping them to Australia by Globalscalewhoever is $119 (more then the plug)... i can only assume they think Australia is on the moon

As I've already said, mine cost US$99 plus the Fed-ex charge of US$32.76 giving a total charged of exactly US$131.76.

I still think delivery from the US (and the UK often, but not always) is extortion. US businesses just have no idea about cheap tracking systems like the rest of the world uses, and that's a shame as I buy most of my stuff via Asia direct now rather than the US.

This is what I get from their site (when i plug in Australia):
Shipping: (UPS Worldwide Expedited)   $113.25 (USD)
Tax:   $0.00 (USD)
Total:   $212.25 (USD)

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »

Well, if I do Sydney Australia post code 2000 (central CBD), I get quoted US$41.81

I don't know where you are in Aussie, so it may be cheaper. US$42 is a lot more than I paid, but a lot less than you're getting. Did you input your area details and click "Get Estimates" for your shipping costs?

If you don't, just request a quote, or email them.

I started from here:

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx

then clicked on "add to cart" and went from there.

Good luck.

Oh! And by the way. The Plug is only US$99.00. I don't know where you're getting this US$113.25 from.

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »

Well, if I do Sydney Australia post code 2000 (central CBD), I get quoted US$41.81

I don't know where you are in Aussie, so it may be cheaper. US$42 is a lot more than I paid, but a lot less than you're getting. Did you input your area details and click "Get Estimates" for your shipping costs?

If you don't, just request a quote, or email them.

I started from here:

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx

then clicked on "add to cart" and went from there.

Good luck.

Oh! And by the way. The Plug is only US$99.00. I don't know where you're getting this US$113.25 from.

$113.25 is only the shipping, not the plug, the plug is still $99

But I figured out the problem, if you put a state in i.e. "New South Wales" for some reason the shipping goes expedited and comes up as $113.25

with a state:
Code:
Shipping And Tax Estimate
Shipping: (UPS Worldwide Expedited) $113.25 (USD)
Tax: $0.00 (USD)
Total: $212.25 (USD)

without a state:
Code:
Shipping And Tax Estimate
Shipping: (FedEx International Economy) $41.81 (USD)
Tax: $0.00 (USD)
Total: $140.81 (USD)

If you dont put a state in, it comes up as $41.81. Still kinda expensive, but i can live with it.

How very very bizare that is.

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »

Excellent.

Shame about the high cost of delivery. Why is it that Businesses in the US seem to think that Fed-Ex is the ONLY way to send tracked items? Fed-Ex must be so cheap in the US that they can't see that the price to other countries is extortionate.

Anyway, the good news, is that you're going to get a GS plug and I've already got mine, but at a cheaper delivery price Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: