• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Backing up internal flash memory  (Read 2476 times)
wpervaiz

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »

I've installed, upgraded and configured ubuntu according to my liking. I've also installed an apache webserver and other applications. Everything is on the internal flash memory so I dont have to use an sd card. My SheevaPlug is running perfectly.

What I want to do now is to copy over everything in this plug onto a second (and maybe a third) plug. Is it possible to make an image of everything on the sheevaplug and just copy and paste it onto another plug to get a duplicate install ?

Thanks!

wpervaiz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »

bump, anyone ?

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »

I can partially help you.  Here's what I do to back up my SDcard.  I think it should also work fine to back up the internal flash:

First, on the Backup Machine:
Code:
$ nc -lp 2345 | gzip >sheeva-root-fs-$(date +%F).cgz

Then, on the SheevaPlug:
Code:
# BKUPIP=<IP address of backup machine>
# cd / && find . dev -mount | cpio -oc | nc $BKUPIP 2345

You can interrupt the processes on the SheevaPlug after the "XXXX blocks" message appears there, and you should then have a good cpio archive on the backup machine.

This should create a remote backup of your root file system (plus /dev, some of which is necessary to boot).  However, I've never looked into what is necessary to get it onto a second Plug's internal flash memory because I don't generally use this configuration.  I suppose if it were me, I'd boot the second Plug off of an SDcard, set up the internal flash as a mounted FS and restore it, and then reset the Uboot parms to boot using the internal flash, but perhaps someone else can suggest a more elegant solution...

Good luck!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: