• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2.6.31.5 new release  (Read 4041 times)
cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:38:16 AM »

2.6.31.5 is now available.

Kernel and modules are available from the following location:

http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/

Features IPV6, CIFS, NFS4, EXT3, EXT4, JFS, XFS, FUSE(for ntfs-3g), UBIFS, usb-serial, uvcvideo, iptables, appletalk, bluetooth, v4l and ppp.

TJeh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »

Installed the new kernel just yesterday. It seems to be working fine.

Thanks Smiley

btw is the high speed mode for SD Cards deactivated within this build? I am just wondering because my SD 16 GB Class6 card really sucks at the writing speed... the cpu has to go to waiting state a lot of the time Sad

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »

Installed the new kernel just yesterday. It seems to be working fine.

Thanks Smiley

btw is the high speed mode for SD Cards deactivated within this build? I am just wondering because my SD 16 GB Class6 card really sucks at the writing speed... the cpu has to go to waiting state a lot of the time Sad

No, high speed mode is not disabled.  I didn't want to impact performance for those who have cards that work properly.

There hasn't  been much activity on this thread, so I guess the kernel must be working pretty well.  No news is good news. Wink

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 04:43:35 AM »

working flawlessly as usual for me Grin

snake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »

working flawlessly as usual for me Grin

Hello,

I am a bit hesitant of upgrading my kernel for the sheevaplug but I don't want to get left behind. Smiley

Unfortunately, I have encountered a strange problem. I tried installing "vsftpd" and change my config file appropriately. My goal was to:

1) automount a thumbdrive using udev
2) send and get files to and from the thumbdrive mounted on the sheevaplug via FTP

This was working well on kernel 2.6.30.2

But when I tried upgrading to 2.6.31.5 I can see that the mounted drive doesn't get the "properties" of the drirectory that I will be mounting the device.

I also tried editing my /etc/fstab to ensure that the mounted device will get a "rw" attribute... but still the thumbdrive refuses to be written. When I switch back to 2.6.30.2, everything is ok.

I hope somebody could help me because I need to use 2.6.31.X kernels to enable a certain device for my plug but still want to do FTP via vsftpd.

snake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 10:02:57 PM »

*SOLVED

Sorry my bad, revisited my /etc/fstab again and just added the options "dmask=000,fmask=000"..  Grin

rknopf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »

Newbie question: I am relatively new to Linux and Sheevaplug (but an old hand with UNIX).  I am rooting on a 4Gb SD card, currently running 22.6.2.18 (what came on my sheevaplug).  Do I run the README with --nandkernel or --rootkernel?  I probably need to spend a bit more time understanding uboot's process better and then I would probably get my answer.  Right now need to get on a newer kernel to get samba working, will go back to understanding the details later.

I guess I should probably ask (as well) is this a good kernel to run or are there later, greater kernels I should consider?  I know this one is not the latest - just not sure how to figure out what the latest stable kernel is.

Many thanks,
Roger
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:10:07 AM by rknopf » Logged

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »

Newbie question: I am relatively new to Linux and Sheevaplug (but an old hand with UNIX).  I am rooting on a 4Gb SD card, currently running 22.6.2.18 (what came on my sheevaplug).  Do I run the README with --nandkernel or --rootkernel?  I probably need to spend a bit more time understanding uboot's process better and then I would probably get my answer.  Right now need to get on a newer kernel to get samba working, will go back to understanding the details later.

I guess I should probably ask (as well) is this a good kernel to run or are there later, greater kernels I should consider?  I know this one is not the latest - just not sure how to figure out what the latest stable kernel is.

Many thanks,
Roger

Unless you have configured u-boot to load the kernel from your SD you want to use --nandkernel.

At this point I'm only building "stable" kernels.  So if you want the latest stable version, just find the highest numeric version on sheeva.with-linux.com.  At this time that would be 2.6.34.1.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: