• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polipo (proxy server)  (Read 2401 times)
truxntrax

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:06:55 PM »

Got my plug working - upgraded using the sheevaplug installed.  Running rotfs from the internal storage.

Managed to install polipo (proxy server)  on the plug with no problems and got it working fine.  Problem is it's slow as a dog!  I am contrasting this with running polipo on my nas device (Dlink dns 323).  The specs of the 2 devices are poles apart.  The plug  is far more powerful so why does it serve the pages up so much slower?

Anyone any ideas?  Could this be because the file transfer speed is slow from the internal storage?  Would running the rootfs from a usb thumb drive sort the speed issue up?

Thoughts?

Thanks

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »

Do you need to cache your webpages? Or, are you really just wanting to use it as a transparent proxy?

If you don't need to cache and are just wanting to use it as a secure way of surfing, say at a Wifi Hotspot and as a way to get out of your work etc, then why not just openSSH?

truxntrax

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »

I use it to cache web pages. 

Using polipo on my little nas box speeds up surfing, polipo on my plug sloooows down surfing.
If I symlink to my nas box from the plug will i gain the speed advantage to storing the web cache on fast access harddrives?  Is this how symlinks work?  Or will I still be constrained by the slower read/write speeds of the plug?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: