• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Booting from SD card  (Read 4991 times)
n3pb

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:36:40 AM »

I have been able to boot from NAND and use a root file system on an SD card.  I have also been able to build a new kernel and boot it from a USB flash drive with the root file system on an SD card.  I have not been able to boot from the SD card though.  U-Boot does not seem to see any mmc devices and fatls and ext2ls do not work.  Anybody have any luck with this?

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »

Nope, the U-boot available for the plug doesn't support booting from SD. The upstream version does, but it remains to see if the Sheevaplug will support it as well Smiley

kwonsk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »

Hi,
I just finished SD/SDHC support in u-boot-3.4.16 (marvell version).
It works well and performace was resionable (fatload 3MB about 2 seconds).
I've posted this job in this forum with file attachement (I could'nt see my post myself yet. Is there some delay for a new post?).

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »

Hi,
I just finished SD/SDHC support in u-boot-3.4.16 (marvell version).
It works well and performace was resionable (fatload 3MB about 2 seconds).
I've posted this job in this forum with file attachement (I could'nt see my post myself yet. Is there some delay for a new post?).

Did you use the attachment menu exposed under the link "Additional Options..."?  If so, can you describe what happened?  If you cannot remember, could you try again and then describe what is returned so the moderators can fix address and hopefully fix that attachment facility.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

kwonsk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »

I used addtional options for file attachment. But got following error message (tried with firefox,IE on windos vista).
"Cannot access attachments upload path!"

Currently I just uploaded my files to the following link

http://rapidshare.com/files/227381680/sd.tgz.html

thanks

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 05:15:28 AM »

Can we get the attachment facility working for this forum, or provide instructions to help people use it (is this a JavaScript permissions issue?)?  I tried to upload a text and binary file and got:

Cannot access attachments path

btw -- I tried to download http://rapidshare.com/files/227381680/sd.tgz.html and got:

Error

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:31:58 AM »

I just sent a PM, asking for assistance. Thanks!

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »

Attachment fixed.
5MB max file size per attachment.

docbee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 06:30:17 AM »

I followed instructions and setup a 4GB SDHC card from Transcend. All I get when trying to boot from it is...

Code:
Marvell>> print bootcmd
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(console) $(bootargs_root); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000
Marvell>> print bootargs
bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=nand_mtd:0x100000@0(uboot)ro,0x0@0x100000(uImage),0x1ff00000@0x100000(rootfs)rw root=/dev/mmcblk0p1
Marvell>> run bootcmd
SDHC found. Card desciption is:
Manufacturer:       0x03, OEM "SD"
Product name:       "SD04G", revision 8.0
Serial number:      1887016415
Manufacturing date: 12/2008
CRC:                0x00, b0 = 0
Error! cmd : 17, err : 0040
mmc_block_read: mmc read block cmd fails
mmc block read error
mmc block read error
bad MBR sector signature 0x0000
** Bad partition 1 **
mmc block read error
bad MBR sector signature 0x0000
** Bad partition 1 **
## Booting image at 00400000 ...
Bad Magic Number
Marvell>>

Any idea what is going wrong?
Boot from USB works fine (when applying the corresponding environment settings in u-boot.)

docbee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »

I tried with another plug and this time it works. Looks like something is broken in the plug... weird.
So no problem with the particular SD card!

docbee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »

Based on the SheevaPlug installer I put a script and documentation together that explains how to patch a stock SheevaPlug to boot from SD in the most easy way. Setting up the SD card is explained for Meteohub, but you can skip the last step and do what ever you want to put on your SD card.

Description with links: http://www.meteohub.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=275&Itemid=29

Many thanks to this forum, without the assets provided here, I would not been able to put this together.

Remark: The script just updates u-boot to an SD enabled version and makes u-boot environment settings (keeping the original MAC). It is not installing any Linux distro to SD, flash or elsewhere. So it is a very limited subset of SheevaPlug installer, but easy to use.

ianjb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »

Nice work! Sounds like this should go in the success stories.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: