• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FTDI device on the Sheeva  (Read 23329 times)
SethM

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2009, 06:05:32 AM »

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a usb/serial (FTDI) device to work on the Sheeva?  I am running the default 2.6.22.18 kernel.   The device is recognized (checked via dmesg) but is not attached as ttyUSB0. 

n3pb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:50:51 AM »

Be sure the ftdi_sio module is not loaded ("rmmod ftdi_sio" if necessary).  Load it with "modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x9e88 product=0x9e8f".  You should get two /dev/ttyUSBx devices.  The second one is the console for Unix.

SethM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:58:19 AM »

I've tried this method.  When I run modprobe I receive the following message:
Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.18/modules.dep: No such file or directory

n3pb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »

We may be talking about two different things.  The instructions above are to get your Linux host to see the serial console port on the SheevaPlug (via the miniUSB).  The modprobe command is executed on the Linux host, not the SheevaPlug.  If you're trying to use an FTDI serial adapter plugged into the regular USB port on the SheevaPlug, that's a different situation.  You'll probably have to build the ftdi_sio module and install it since the modules are not loaded on the SheevaPlug in the default distribution.

Phil

SethM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:32:52 AM »

Phil,
That's exactly what I'm trying to do.  I haven't yet tried to build and install the ftdi_sio module (had assumed that the kenrnel would already support this device), but I suppose I'll give that a go next.  Thanks for the help. 

SethM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:07:07 AM »

unfortunately, the build fails for the standard vcp ftdi driver.  Any other options suggestions or should I install a different kernel?

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »

Phil,
That's exactly what I'm trying to do.  I haven't yet tried to build and install the ftdi_sio module (had assumed that the kenrnel would already support this device), but I suppose I'll give that a go next.  Thanks for the help. 

What are you exactly trying to do? Because Phil said the two options.

SethM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:35 AM »

I am attaching an FTDI to usb serial device to the "slave" port of the sheeva plug, to get a serial device to talk to the plug.  I am not trying to connect the device to a host Linux machine.

moshiach
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »

Then make sure when you build your kernel you have usbserail AND ftdi_sio (assuming your device uses ftdi serial) built as modules.  Make sur eyou actually build and install the modules with make modules modules_install.  Reboot into the new kernel and update-modules (your distribution might call this something different).

At that point you need to find the vendor id and product id of the device you are trying to connect to.  If you have lsb or usbview you can get that information.  Use it for the next line:

modprobe ftdi_sio product=<productid> vendor=<vendoriid>

For example to talk from my linux box to the plug I have
modprobe ftdi_sio product=0x9e8f vendor=0x9e88

If you are using udev, you can make a rule for pluggin and unpluggin the device like this:
/etc/udev/rules/d/10-mydevice
Code:
SYSFS{idProduct}=="9e8f",SYSFS{idVendor}=="9e88",ACTION=="add",RUN+="/sbin/modpr
obe -q ftdi-sio product=0x9e8f vendor=0x9e88",SYMLINK+"USB[0-1]"
ENV{PRODUCT}=="9e88/9e8f/500",ACTION=="remove",RUN+="/sbin/rmmod ftdi_sio usbser
ial"

You'll have to get the ENV{PRODUCT} number for your device from the command
 udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/ttyUSB1)
once you've modprobed ftdi_sio to set up the remove rule.

SethM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »

moshiach,
Thanks for the help.  I had pretty much come to the conclusion that this would require a kernel rebuild.  I was trying to avoid that as I am a linux newbie, but I guess I will have to dive in and try it out.  Thanks...

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:24:55 PM »

I just added usb-serial support to the the kernel  image/modules located here.

IPV4: http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/

IPV6: http://sheeva6.with-linux.com/sheeva/

If you want to test it (as root) just download the README to your sheevaplug.  chmod 755 README. ./README.  It'll install the modules and the new uImage.  After a successful flash just reboot.

my usb-serial  driver has been patched to allow full-speed downloads (1.5MBit) using high-speed wireless modems, (EVDO for example) as per this thread. http://www.evdoforums.com/thread4381.html Anyone interested in testing out EVDO modems with SheevaPlug?

pauldy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »

SethM I have the 895-FT4232HQ-MINIMOD on order and will be able to report this coming weekend on getting the device loaded up.  The kernel that comes pre-installed seems to be a modular kernel and my intent is to get the device running with that kernel if possible.

moridin1138

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »

If you want to test it (as root) just download the README to your sheevaplug.  chmod 755 README. ./README.  It'll install the modules and the new uImage.  After a successful flash just reboot.

I would have loved if it was that easy, however I did what you said and now it won't boot.

After going through the readme it seems I must not have set the bootargs properly.

Unfortunately I am a bit of a newb here and can't get things back the way they were.  If only there was a "reset to factory defaults" button.  Angry

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »

After going through the readme it seems I must not have set the bootargs properly.

The 2.6.22.19 kernel should boot using the same configuration as the default kernel.

Only the 2.6.30-rc? kernel's require changing boot args.  I'm assuming you used a .30 kernel.

Don't panic.  Once you get your boot args right all will be well.

moridin1138

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »

The 2.6.22.19 kernel should boot using the same configuration as the default kernel.

Only the 2.6.30-rc? kernel's require changing boot args.  I'm assuming you used a .30 kernel.

Don't panic.  Once you get your boot args right all will be well.

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, it was .30.

Unfortunately I have an OSX, Linux, and Windows machine all that cannot connect using the "serial" port.

Once I do get in though, Ill change the bootargs and report back.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: