• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: pbxnsip running on the plug!  (Read 3456 times)
gotvoip

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »

We successfully got pbxnsip running on the system and the performance is amazing so far.  We have to check if the load generator tool is working properly since it is showing we have 20 conversations going on at once which is much more than we anticipated.  pbxnsip is not asterisk based and is a full blown ip pbx with auto attendants, music on hold, etc...  and a nice easy to use GUI.  http://www.pbxnsipsupport.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=576 has the details on installing it.  It is not a free application but you can get a free demo key and the pricing is reasonable. 

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:53:54 AM »

PBX intrigues me.

Is there some summary which explains what it takes and the cost to have a PBX system in a single family home.  You have the computer and software, then you have the phone units (any wifi enabled?) attached to the network system.  I guess you have to have a switch that prioritizes packets so the VOIP packets get priority.

But the real mystery to me is what board or piece of equipment do you have between your router and the phone company, and what's its cost.  And how much and whom do you pay for service so you can make calls to land lines and make your computer phone system have the same kind of land line service as one enjoys plugging a phone into the phone jack.

I gather the costs are to high to make it reasonable for a noncommercial setting, but if someone knows off the top of their head what it is, this thread would be an excellent place to share that knowledge.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

gotvoip

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:52:57 AM »

Good question.  We are trying to position the plug as a backup to a hosted solution as well as for residential environmnets.  The costs for residential equipment after purchasing the plug one really needs to have an Analog Telephone Adpater (ATA) that they can purchase on ebay for around $60. This would be plugged into your home phone jack and provide dial tone for the house.  You need to go outside and actually cut the cord coming from the phone network if you want to go that route since voltage is still coming down on the line.   Linksys makes a PAP2 that is really popular and there are also FXS ports built into some of the Linksys routers as well.  You can plug a cordless phone directly into the gateway if you didn't want to be disconnected from the PSTN.    Next you need to get an ITSP like www.callcentric.com who have pay as you go plans or even World select that includes unlimited calling to 40 countries and they can port your number over if want to keep it.  The last step would be the pbxnsip license which costs between $50-$100 depending upon what features you need.   

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: