• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First log on to out of box Sheeva-plug assistance request.  (Read 2437 times)
jm_eng

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:12:21 PM »

A request for help out of the gate:

I tried both windows vista via Putty and Linux Ubuntu/Mint and no go,
I try ssh root@169.254.148.164 and get: 169.254.148.164 port 22: No route to host
Putty gave me about the same results. I was not able to find the DHCP log to get the
ip address but windows network information gave some hints that this was the needed ip address.

Following these directions - I was not able to get there. - never got to Log in

* ou must have a DHCP server on your network. If you are using a home router, you probably do.
    * Connect the Plug to both ethernet and power. It will boot and acquire an IP address via DHCP after a few minutes.
    * Check your DHCP logs to find out what IP address the Plug got.
    * SSH to the Plug as root. On Linux or Mac, just do "ssh root@<ip>" (where <ip> is the plug's IP address). On Windows, Putty is an excellent SSH client.

Any one else with the same problem, now solved ??

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »

I try ssh root@169.254.148.164 and get: 169.254.148.164 port 22: No route to host
Putty gave me about the same results. I was not able to find the DHCP log to get the
ip address but windows network information gave some hints that this was the needed ip address.
That's not a DHCP address.  It's another protocol (zeroconf? - devised by MS?) whereby you choose an address at random in the network range then send out a query to see whether anyone else is using it.  repeat until no-one says "that's mine".   The plug won't be running it, so I doubt the address is correct.  You could ping it to check.
The thing to do is to attach the USB cable to the plug and use PuTTy (or similar) to talk to the serial console (no network) and set up the networking on the plug from there.

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:55:57 AM »

you could also run wireshark and capture the DHCP session (assuming you have the plug connected to L2 hub)

rbgray

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:52:19 AM »

Or log in to your router with your browser and check the DHCP table there.   In Linksys routers, this is under the Status tab.  (I'm not at home, so don't remember the exact path to this display.)

jm_eng

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »

I was actually able to get it to work somewhat as the original instructions said.
(The first time I hooked it up directly to my Vista Laptop it did not work,
next time  I used my kitchen computer, with a linksys wireless router hooking it
up to one of the wired jacks on the back of the router. I was also using Network magic
program  at the time and was able to get from this an IP address of 192.168.5.103.
Then I used  Putty but learned that first Putty expects you to login as "root"  , then
you enter the pw = nosoup4u.

Thanks for the tip on wireshark. I will try playing with that too. I wonder if I reattach
the sheva plug directly to my lap top it will require the same 192.168.5.103 ??

jm_eng

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »

I have attempted  to attach the ethernet cable between tried both a windows XP and
a Vista SP2 laptop, and  a Linux Laptop, and the Plug computer. In both cases the windows Network manager programs were not able to discover the IP address for the Sheeva Plug.

So is this just a known bug with the Plug, or am I not configuring networking properly ??

The only case I saw work is when I use my Linksys router inbetween my plug, and my PC

I sure hope this is not the only way to get to work.

Any further comment would be appreciated.

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:48:09 AM »

The plug will expect a DHCP server somewhere to allocate it (the plug) an IP address.

If you connect directly to you laptop, which won't probably be running such a server, the plug won't get allocated an address.

Rgds

Damon

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »

The plug will expect a DHCP server somewhere to allocate it (the plug) an IP address.
Although you can configure it to have a fixed IP address by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file (man interfaces for info) once you've logged in.
Or set it to ipv411 - which is the Zeroconf setup (on 169.254.0.0/16)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:28:55 PM by birdman » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: