• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Boycott Global Scale Technologies  (Read 8929 times)
alexodus

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »

Global Scale isn't a good distributor.
They lack in support (my first order was wrong).
The second order in in limbo, and they doesn't answer to my mail request.

I hope that Marvell want to change distributor, because  the product is ok, but this official distributor is very very bad.
(their web site is not very "professional").

adapted.cat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »

It is what it is. I've seen far worse - on the order of months just to get an email response - from other suppliers.

They should acknowledge the supply-chain/back-order problems upfront - especially when you're choosing different shipping options - but how many online suppliers do you know who actually do that? From reading this forum I know that I'm not the only one to have received fairly prompt replies to emails and phone calls. Globalscale say that they have delays getting parts in from their supplier (presumably Marvell), and I see no reason to doubt that. Sure, I too was disappointed with the delay, but this is not a simple store where they have thousands of the product lying in a warehouse somewhere. Once they do get the parts, they turn them around fairly quickly.

If we all boycotted Globalscale, that would lead Marvell to conclude that this was not a popular product, and they would be less likely to produce similar products in the future. Now we can debate amongst ourselves whether Marvell's business model here makes sense, and whether their choice of supplier makes sense, but boycotting Globalscale won't produce the results you want to see.

If you have a problem with Globalscale, report it to Marvell. If Marvell receive enough complaints (that they themselves aren't the real cause of) then they might consider switching distributer, or at least slapping Globalscale until their customer service improves. Or, they might ask Globalscale to expedite your order. Either way, you stand a chance of getting the results you want.

Before you do that, though, ping Globalscale with another email, asking for an update - you have nothing to lose, they might surprise you.

calagan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:48:35 AM »

As mentioned in another post, I'm not too happy about the fact they limit shipping options for overseas users to Fedex.

However, I'm otherwise very satisfied with GlobalScape: they've been very reactive and I have to say the way they package the SheevaPlug is impressively luxurious (I just love the magnet-closing little box).

liuh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:22:39 AM »

As mentioned in another post, I'm not too happy about the fact they limit shipping options for overseas users to Fedex.

However, I'm otherwise very satisfied with GlobalScape: they've been very reactive and I have to say the way they package the SheevaPlug is impressively luxurious (I just love the magnet-closing little box).

Most of small electronic hardware packed in that way from China Manufacture. So, it's nothing special for Global Scale. Despite all logistic problem, I still think SheevaPlug is a very good product for power linux users. The debugging JTAG interface let you have full control of system without need to worry about any physical modification.

liuh

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »

Alexodus go ahead and boycott them. Firstly, good luck in finding an alternative supplier!

Sure Global Scale are not perfect, but they are not just a straight Distributor, they are the manufacturer also. Marvell could probably get another outfit to do the distribution, but are you prepared to pay an additional $20-30 for each plug?

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »

I don't want to sound like i am advertising - but look at www.newit.co.uk Smiley

rbirkby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:40 AM »

I don't want to sound like i am advertising - but look at www.newit.co.uk Smiley

From the photos, it looks like you supply with the horrible UK 3pin plug adapter onto the EuroPlug? Is that what you supply?
The GlobalScale photos show a proper slide-in UK plug, even though they didn't ship that to me.

I would love to plug a SheevaPlug into a double socket next to a HomePlug adapter, but I wouldn't do that with the fragile UK=>EuroPlug adapter.

Richard

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »

From the photos, it looks like you supply with the horrible UK 3pin plug adapter onto the EuroPlug? Is that what you supply?
The GlobalScale photos show a proper slide-in UK plug, even though they didn't ship that to me.
[/quote]
Hi there, yes that is what we supply - simply because thats all thats available - GlobalScale do not make a true UK version, they have looked in to doing it but its not easy geting the three big pins onto the slider, so no plans to produce in the near future.

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »

Have you tried to call their office in Los Angeles and see if they can provide any information ? I had the same issue with their email system but when I called, the operator was able to help me. Yes the operator not the customer service. I am guessing like everywhere else they are short staffed and now the operator is doing customer service's job.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »

I would love to plug a SheevaPlug into a double socket next to a HomePlug adapter, but I wouldn't do that with the fragile UK=>EuroPlug adapter.
But they do also ship a figure-of-8 to UK plug lead ~1 metre long.  I use that, as I don't actually want to have it hanging off a socket.  The adaptor is now in my pile of useful adaptors for general use (it's the smallest and neatest US to UK one I've ever seen).

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 02:42:21 AM »

Eighty nine pounds. That's how much it costs including Fed-ex from the states.

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 03:52:31 AM »

When you buy direct from GST the cost is:

62 for the Kit
30 - 60  Fed Ex Delivery
22 VAT and Fed Ex handling fee

Buy From New IT 89

The above is based on being shipped in the UK.

And of course we have the Kits in stock for next day delivery, so you are not waiting for your kit to be built and then shipped in xx weeks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:10:42 AM by NewIT » Logged

badcam

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:53 AM »

When you buy direct from GST the cost is:

62 for the Kit
30 - 60  Fed Ex Delivery
22 VAT and Fed Ex handling fee

Buy From New IT 89

The above is based on being shipped in the UK.

And of course we have the Kits in stock for next day delivery, so you are not waiting for your kit to be built and then shipped in xx weeks.

Thanks for the clarification.  Smiley

snake

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00:19 AM »

If you have a problem with Globalscale, report it to Marvell. If Marvell receive enough complaints (that they themselves aren't the real cause of) then they might consider switching distributer, or at least slapping Globalscale until their customer service improves. Or, they might ask Globalscale to expedite your order. Either way, you stand a chance of getting the results you want.

Hmm.. I am not really sure whether Marvell has the power to "slap" Globalscale... I think, Marvell is a chip designer and Globalscale is a manufacturer who orders chips from them. And though they have this link, they are completely different companies with different management.

If you really dislike GlobalScale you could use the net to surf for other manufacturers who also create plugcomputers using the Marvell chip...

for example:

http://www.ionics-ems.com/plugcomputer.html

Just a suggestion of course.

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

I checked with Tonido.com and according to them they have plenty of units in stock and they ship them out in 1-2 days. I understand their Plugcomputer doesn't have a SD slot or the USB serial connector, but I wonder why Globalscale has such a hard time keeping them in stock while Tonido doesn't. Also I hear there is no wait on Pogoplug either.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: