• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Current Denx U-Boot  (Read 4173 times)
tschaboo

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »

Hello,

I didn't touch my plug for four months ... didn't have time. Now I wanted to bring everything up to date, beginning with U-Boot. I saw, that the wiki http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Das_U-boot_plug_support already suggests installing from Denx-GIT. I tried this today and the plug doesn't get further than "DRAM: ". Is this supposed to work? Any hints?

TundraMan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:29:38 AM »

tschaboo,

It should work. I actually made the updates to the Wiki after some investigation of the Marvell git tree vs. the Denx tree and compiling and installing the latest Denx u-boot on my plug. I have had success with both the 'master' branch as well as using the 2009.08 release of u-boot with rebased NAND support patches brought over from the Marvell tree. I do get a NAND BBT warning/error message when u-boot is coming up which I am investigating but other then this message everything works fine. Let me know if you continue to have issues and I will try to assist you.

T

prafulla
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:09:41 AM »

Hi
Thanks for evaluating latest u-boot,
actually I am in process to update this page

Yes, all the patched related to sheevaplug are mainlined, but there are some generic arm related issues.
I have put all fixes togather at http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-marvell.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/testing

Please clone testing branch form git.denx.de//u-boot-marvell.git and build it for sheevaplug,
everything will be functional.

there are few more fixes that I will update tomorrow so that you will get updated code.

thanks are regards..
Prafulla . .

prafulla
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »

Hi all

I have updated a page http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Das_U-boot_plug_support#Open_U-Boot_support_for_SheevaPlug

Pls have a look and let me know if everything is okay :-)

Regards..
Prafulla . .

tschaboo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:57:36 AM »

Hi,

i tried the u-boot in the marvell-tree according to the instructions in the wiki. It actually seems to work, I can boot a kernel off NAND, but in addition to the bbt-error mentioned by TundraMan it also seems, that U-Boot upgraded my memory:

Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-00302-g80e2939 (Oct 06 2009 - 20:47:11)
Marvell-Sheevaplug

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM:  8589934592 MB
NAND:  27469700292149248 MiB
nand_bbt: Can't scan flash and build the RAM-based BBT
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0
88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 6442450944 0
Marvell>>

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »

Hey, I'll have that memory upgrade too!  All my cacheing and swapping problems are over...  B^>

Rgds

Damon

TundraMan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »

prafulla,

Got the latest from your tree. Seems to work well, no memory upgrade for me, a good thing in this case Smiley. The BBT message remains but I am looking into that now as I get my bearings.

TundraMan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »

@prafulla,

You probably already know this but here's a heads up regardless. I finally had a chance to look into the "RAM-based BBT" message and was just concluding that it felt like an alignment issue, having been getting lots of printk "wierdness" going on, so pulled and noticed the HEAD commit on the testing branch was for alignment on the 926ejs. Anyways long and short we need to cherry-pick commit a0d4cd6ab21e3ac7efc63d9babc3738abde1044f onto master.

TundraMan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »

Note that there is another patch needed for the DevKit as the memory configuration is incorrect in the current tree.

http://www.nabble.com/-U-Boot---PATCH-V2--sheevaplug%3A-correct-SDRAM-address-control-register-value-p25958293.html

It really depends on your hardware as you might be fine with a PogoPlug or TonidoPlug.

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:35 AM »

prafulla, rooster: what's the status of SheevaPlug support in the upstream (Denx) tree?  When you think it's solid, would you mind making a binary available?

page

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »

Hi everyone,

I just acquired a Sheevaplug and would also like if anyone could update us on the status of open u-boot. The u-boot-marvell repository has received no commits for more than a month now. I also checked the main u-boot repository, but there also seems to be no commits concerning the Sheevaplug for some time, and if I'm not mistaken, both versions lack support for SD cards.

So,  is anybody working on them? Or we can only expect updates from Marvell releases? I hope someone can shed some light into this.

Thanks

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 06:21:33 AM »

as far as I can tell I was able to boot from SD with the 3.4.19 and 3.4.23 version (you should find a link for both somewhere in this forum).
I ran into trouble with 3.4.24 though also still waiting for an "official" 3.4.25 for some time, now  Grin (http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=921.msg6113#msg6113)

page

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 12:04:57 PM »

odoll,

I was referring to open u-boot. The versions you mention are patches on top of u-boot-1.1.4, which is really old.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: