• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sun JDK is not installable on Debian Lenny - any ideas?  (Read 3515 times)
sanjayayogi

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »

I have installed everything I needed to run couchdb, (working) and want to install luscene for full text searching on the couchdb databases. However, luscene fails to compile with the open source java JDK. I need to get the Sun Version working. Has anyone managed to install the SUN JDK on Debian Lenny?

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:20:37 PM »

Hi

I am running Sun's 'embedded' SE JRE for ARMv5 for my Tomcat Web server.  You can download the JRE for eval for 3 months from java.sun.com.  I'm going to pony up he $50 to run a single production instance in December because it is is working very well for me, and basically as fast as I expect to get on this platform.

I am using IcedTea with a fastish interpreter c/o Xerxes Rånby, and I am anticipating an Iced Tea / Zero / Shark combo by December in Debian.  It aim to compare that against Sun's JRE.

I also have installed the basic OpenJDK from Ubuntu: very very very slow pure interpreter but it works.

The GlobalScale site is hawking some sort of IBM JRE/JDK on an SD card.  I'd be interested to know how well it works.

Rgds

Damon

bedek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »

Hi

I am running Sun's 'embedded' SE JRE for ARMv5 for my Tomcat Web server.  You can download the JRE for eval for 3 months from java.sun.com.  I'm going to pony up he $50 to run a single production instance in December because it is is working very well for me, and basically as fast as I expect to get on this platform.

I am using IcedTea with a fastish interpreter c/o Xerxes Rånby, and I am anticipating an Iced Tea / Zero / Shark combo by December in Debian.  It aim to compare that against Sun's JRE.

I also have installed the basic OpenJDK from Ubuntu: very very very slow pure interpreter but it works.

The GlobalScale site is hawking some sort of IBM JRE/JDK on an SD card.  I'd be interested to know how well it works.

Rgds

Damon

I might be wrong but this information might be not up to date.

According to official page

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/overview/embedded-faq-159987.html#faq10

looks like it's free for development:

Q: 10. How is Java SE for Embedded licensed?

Java SE is free to use for development of embedded applications. We provide affordable licensing for deploying Java SE in an embedded device or as part of a embedded-based system. Please contact us when you are ready to deploy or if you have already deployed but not sure you have the correct license.

but later on this same page there is another information:

Q: 11. Does deploying Java SE for embedded devices or purposes require a royalty?

Yes. Oracle's license for Java SE enables it to be freely used for general purpose desktops or servers. If Java SE is bundled as part of a dedicated solution that involves or controls hardware of some kind, then it's likely an embedded application and is subject to modest royalty payments.

So probably something changed over time when SUN was bought by ORACLE ?

Is it really free if you no selling product based on that java ?

What is you experience with that java for arm5 ?

Is it possible to run Jetty or Tomcat or any other java web servers ?

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

Is it really free if you no selling product based on that java ?
If you are installing it on your own system for your own use and not selling that system to anyone else then you are not bundling it.

Doug Grove

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:29:01 AM »

Just so you know, the IBM JRE that is being sold on the Global Scale web site is a J9 Micro Edition and not really usable for much of anything (IMHO).

Doug

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: