• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SD Card not showing up  (Read 4207 times)
theRealBigP

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:07:57 PM »

I searched the forums and it seems people are simply able to insert an SD/SDHC card into the slot and it shows up as /dev/mmcblk0 (or something similarly named). I don't get any new device appearing when I plug in any of several SD cards that I have laying around. Is there some extra step I need to take before I can hot-swap cards and have the SheevaPlug recognize them? Thanks.

KaiBo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »

Unplug the card, than plug it back in and do "dmesg | tail". It should read something like this:
Code:
root@debian:~# dmesg | tail -n 5
mmc0: card bb41 removed
mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
mmc0: new SD card at address bb41
mmcblk0: mmc0:bb41 SU02G 1.89 GiB
 mmcblk0: p1

If it does, the card is being recognized by your kernel. You should now have a device called /dev/mmcblk0. If you don't, you should check either your card, your kernel or your modules.

theRealBigP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:20:16 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. dmesg reports nothing similar to what you posted:

sda: sda1 sda2 sda3
sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 4

I have tried a couple of different SD cards; both of them work on my computer as well as an old PDA. Does it matter what filesystem the card is partitioned with? It seems the problem is lower-level than that. How can I ensure I have the right kernel and modules loaded? I am simply using the stock system that came pre-loaded with my plug, which just arrived this past Monday.

Thanks again for your help.

theRealBigP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:05 PM »

I got an e-mail from GlobalScale suggesting I may not be running a kernel with SD card support. I'm just using the stock filesystem that came pre-loaded on the device, which I received on 4/13. uname -a reports:

Linux debian 2.6.22.18 #1 Thu Mar 19 14:46:22 IST 2009 armv5tejl GNU/Linux

Do I need a newer kernel?

Dhaval Vasa

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:43:13 AM »

Stock kernel shipped with SheevaPlug supports SD i.e. SD driver is built-in to the kernel.  Can you post your kernel boot up log and output of following command:

cat /proc/partitions

Please make sure that SD card is inserted into SD connector while you boot up kernel.

- Dhaval

theRealBigP

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »

I inserted an SD card and then rebooted the SheevaPlug. The log is available at:

http://cid-57cbd2fd846825be.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/putty.log

I'm not really able to decipher much of it, as I haven't ever messed around with a Linux kernel. The result of cat /proc/partitions is:

major minor  #blocks  name

31     0       4096 mtdblock0
  31     1     519168 mtdblock1

Hopefully someone more experienced can decipher the log. Thanks for the suggestion; I'm beginning to feel more strongly that the connector is electrically dead.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:44:52 PM by theRealBigP » Logged

Dhaval Vasa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:15:42 PM »

SD on your SheevaPlug seems dead; you will need to report this issue to GlobalScale.

- Dhaval

theRealBigP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »

Yeah, they are already sending me an advance replacement. Good to know their customer service is responsive.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: