• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Author Topic: Received yours yet?  (Read 32369 times)
softwarezman

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »

Just wondering if anybody has gotten theirs yet? I ordered mine on the 24th of Feb and still haven't really heard a peep other than "sometime around the end of March". Anybody else had any luck?

lamestllama

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:17:12 AM »

I got the same email, but was also told I would be sent a fedex tracking number when it shipped. I hope they where not on that plane from China to Japan that crashed and burnt last week !!!

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »

Any update?

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:07 AM »

uhm, check globalscale and it looks like shipping date was moved to the end of april.

mcm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

indeed looks like it:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-2-globalscale-technologies-products.aspx

Note: We estimate the product will be ready to ship towards the end of April 2009.

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »

oh, backorders should start shipping now, if anybody receives it, please post some unboxing pics Cheesy
Note: We are currently fulfilling all back orders.
Any new orders  placed after April 01, 2009, estimate will be ready to ship towards the end of April 2009.

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 06:39:01 AM »

Ah, great news. I'm looking forward to receiving mine. A couple of weeks ago I set up a Linux VM and messed around with the cross-compiler package from Marvell's site, and didn't have much trouble compiling rtorrent for the SheevaPlug.

I brought up the topic of this device at work, and you know what everyone immediately thought this thing would be used for? Corporate espionage.  Cheesy

kryptos1227

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »

Got my tracking number today......looking forwarded to having in hand!

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 07:08:02 AM »

Cool! How long ago did you place your order? Just wondering whereabouts I might be in the queue. Smiley

dmo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »

I have just received a Globalscale Shiva Plug today.  I can see the console through a virtual com port.  It comes up with a login screen and I have been spending hours trying to figure out what userid and password to use or how to get around the login.  I can't find anything in the doc CD about it and haven't found it on the web.  Marvell is a pain in the ass about access to their website for support.  You have to sign-up with a "business e-mail" address and they want a non-disclosure agreement on file. (I have never dealt with a hardware company before  that would sell a product and not have an open web site about the hardware, chip docs, etc.)

Does anyone know how to get logged in to the plug console.  I have tried getting it to boot into Single mode, but I was still prompted for a password.  It would be a shame if my only recourse was to build a complete kernal  and or file system and reinstall it.  I don't have a Linux box going right now and the CD source and docs seem to  imply using Linux to work with the kernal and the plug.

Thanks.

moshiach
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »

If you got to a login prompt, most likely you have managed to get it to boot to Ubuntu.  The user is root and the password is nosoup4u.  You can find this in the pdf "Writing Jaunty Filesystem on the NAND Flash" in the docs zip found here

dmo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »

I am in.  Thank you!  I looked through all of the PDF docs and even grep'd through all of the source files.  I don't know why I didn't find it when I used the search in the PDF, maybe the capitalization I was using.

rcm89

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »

The user is root and the password is nosoup4u.

Thanks moshiach! I'm logged in too.   FYi, I ordered mine 2/28, received today in Texas.

--ron

--Ron

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »

Thanks for the info, Ron - you ordered a couple of weeks ahead of me. Maybe mine will come this week! Smiley

exdec

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »

I'm in Texas and received mine yesterday. I connected up the network port to my router and was able to log in using ssh (pwd nosoup4u). It connected up to my home network using dhcp without any problems.

It identifies itself as running debian 5.0 (lenny) not Ubuntu. But that's fine. I havent had to use the usb console yet.

I tried plugging an SD card into the slot and a USB stick into the usb port. Both were recognized but had to be mounted manually.

The time was off, but was easily set. I will set up ntp later.

By adding a couple of directories I was able to get apt-get to work, so I updated the archives and then installed lighttpd and got a web server running.

Next step is to get samba up and also install php under the web server so I can experiemnt with controlling the plug via the net.

So far, I'm quite impressed. Its a blank canvas at the moment but it has great potential. Having 512MB of flash and 512MB of RAM and a fast ARM CPU seems enough for many things. I've used much smaller and slower systems in the past. I'd like to see more USB ports, and I'll probably try adding SDIO Wifi at some point. Perhaps do some hardware hacking - adding an alternate daughter card with interesting devices.

I have a mini itx linux home server that does lots of useful things for me and my family, plus a nslu2 that provides some services. I'm going to see what I can migrate to the plug, and try to control everything from php so its easy for anyone to use.

Congrats to Globalscale tech and Marvell for an interesting device that is quite stable and useable in its first incarnation. I know that's not easy to achieve!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to: