• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SDXC Cards coming to market (32MB - 2TB)  (Read 1330 times)
jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »

Toshiba announced it will produce a new card compliant with SD Memory Standard, Ver. 3.00, UHS104.  Curious: the standard is proprietary and not a readily available specification (you have to be a member of the association and/or pay for access).

highlights of the Specification:
   Capacity: 32GB - 2TB
   Read:  60 MB/s
   Write: 35 MB/s

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/press_releases/2009/memy_09_572.jsp

Toshiba's "first in the world" entries:
   Capacity: 64 GB
   Mass Production: Spring 2010
   Prototype Release: November 2009

See also

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc

I guess having an SDXC compliant reader connected to a Marvell unit via USB would work.  Does anyone know if having the card accessed from the built-in reader on the SheevaPlug offer a read/write speed advantage over a reader connected by USB?  I'd guess having a direct line to the processor instead of competing on the USB bus would prove to be an advantage.

As I'm playing around with Gentoo built on a $10.00 4GB, I'm wondering about expanding so I can have a complete system on the card.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »

Curious: the standard is proprietary and not a readily available specification (you have to be a member of the association and/or pay for access).
The SD spec was similar - or perhaps that was just the DRM bits, which no-one really used.
The other bit about SDXC is that the "standard" filesystem it will come with will be xfat - which is owned by Microsoft (i.e. not even by the group that "owns" SDXC).  So don't expect to get a camera that uses one and to be able to read its files on a computer not controlled by Microsoft any time soon.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: