• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is dm-crypt and fuse included in the stock kernel?  (Read 2422 times)
chronoboy

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

Hello, I just purchased a Sheeva plug and it should be arriving sometime this week.  Before I begin using it, I have a few simple questions for those who already have one and are using it.

Can dm-crypt and fuse function on this platform(ARM)?  I have never used this platform with a full Linux installation before, and know that some platforms are incompatible with either dm-crypt or fuse.

I have some LUKS encrypted USB media, and wish to use a Sheeva plug to share this data both over CIFS and NFS to both Windows and UNIX-like clients.  Furthermore, I will be using fuse to operate the Linux port of ZFS from Solaris.  I know ZFS is very processor specific, I had issues running it on a Cell Processor(IBMs new PowerPC chip) development machine.  ZFS doesn't matter so much, it can be hosted an external Intel file server.

If anyone can provide some insight on these kernel supported topics, that would be great.  Many thanks.

Kevin.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »

dm_crypt is available in both the original kernel (2.6.22.18) and in the more recent kernels.  The 2.6.22.18 kernel does not have a lot of enabled features, and thus lots of other things don't work, but its dm_crypt has the Marvell code to employ the hardware encryption engine on the Plug, making it very fast.  Later kernels do not utilize the hardware encryption engine, and for some reason, dm_crypt seems not to work at all in the cbxbiker61 kernels.  It has been rumored that the 2.6.32 kernel, due out in December, will have native support for the Plug's hardware encryption engine, giving us the best of all worlds.

fuse is available in the modern kernels.  I don't know if the default kernel (2.6.22.18) has it or not.  (My guess is no.)

calamari

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »

Note that for the 2.6.31 kernel there is support for the hardware acceleration (Marvell's Cryptographic Engines and Security Accelerator (CESA)), see http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=425.msg4249#msg4249 and http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=425.msg4164#msg4164. I don't know if cbxbiker61's build of the 2.6.31 kernel includes it, though.

chronoboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 03:28:05 AM »

Thank you, I will be definitely looking into this.  It's good to know that the ARM processor does support dm-crypt, not sure I'm going to be as equally lucky with ZFS working.

Why would you need acceleration with dm-crypt?  I have a Desktop and laptop system of around equal speed of the Sheeva plug, and do not really notice any file system lag.  I guess I can safely assume that the Intel process handles dm-crypt much better than the ARM processor, thus the need for a separate encryption chip.

Thank you for all your insight so far.

Kevin.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: