• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to specify which USB drive to boot from?  (Read 1140 times)
CharlesWGreenJr

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:55:20 AM »

Hi again, all,

I'm about to get back into this after a bit of a break.  Currently my SheevaPlug MythTV system has a USB hub with two devices on it:  a 500 GB hard drive and a Hauppauge TV tuner.  (Originally I had my root filesystem on SD, but then it got corrupted when I inserted/removed USB while the system was on, and started running with the root on the hard drive.)

Since I plan to leave my system on 24/7 shortly, and would like the HDD to stay spun down most of the time (which it does automatically when not accessed for a few minutes), I'd like to migrate my root filesystem to a USB flash drive to be on the hub along with the HDD (now just to store videos) and the tuner.

While my system boots reliably when powered on, thanks to information provided by others in this forum, I'm curious what will happen when I add another storage device.  In particular, I'm wondering how I should set my boot parameters up to tell it *which* USB storage device I want it to pull the uImage from, and which partition holds the root filesystem.

In a 'grub' world one can use UUIDs to unambiguously specify which partition / filesystem is desired for the root, and I believe that a filesystem or partition's 'label' can also be used for disambiguation, but I don't recall seeing anywhere on this forum how either of these can be used in the SheevaPlug to specify the target of interest.

I suppose I could experimentally determine which port on my hub I should plug something into to have it always identified as, e.g., "usb 0:2", but I feel the cleaner solution is for it to be "position-independent".

Anyway, suggestions are welcome before I trudge forth on trial and error (hopefully not trashing my HDD in the process), probably this weekend.

Thanks,

Charles Green

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: