• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Instability - overheating?  (Read 2635 times)
fordmason

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2009, 04:40:21 AM »

I got my SheevaPlug last Friday, plugged it in, switched on, it picked up an IP address and I was away.  Twenty minutes later it was inaccessible.  When I connected through the mini-USB/serial port it seemed to be cycling through the U-Boot prompt, booting up the kernel and then going back to U-Boot again.  Sometimes it does boot up properly, but the longest I've seen it up for is about half an hour.  I don't have an SD card or USB device plugged in and haven't touched anything with the NAND flash (haven't even changed the default root passsword).

Measuring the outside temperature of the case it is 52 degrees Celsius, and it is drawing 12 Watts of power.  Anyone else seen similar behaviour?  One of the IS guys at work reckons it could be a dodgy power supply.  I've tried to contact GlobalScale but haven't got a response yet.,

theblop

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »

Measuring the outside temperature of the case it is 52 degrees Celsius, and it is drawing 12 Watts of power.  Anyone else seen similar behaviour?  One of the IS guys at work reckons it could be a dodgy power supply.  I've tried to contact GlobalScale but haven't got a response yet.,

Hi Andrew,

I've measured the temperature on mine and it's 51C on the bottom side which lies on the floor and about 40 on the top side. It draws about 6-8W (measured on a kill-a-watt with a lot other stuff plugged on it).

Mine seems stable but I also think it's a bit hot...

Arnaud

AndyOfLinux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »

I know this is an older thread but what response did you get from GlobalScale?  I seem to be having a similar experience with my new GuruPlug Server Plug Sad  I called GlobalScale but they would not take the call.  Said I had to communicate via email - with no response yet (but its only been a day)...

- Andy

Nightmonkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »

I know this is an older thread but what response did you get from GlobalScale?  I seem to be having a similar experience with my new GuruPlug Server Plug Sad  I called GlobalScale but they would not take the call.  Said I had to communicate via email - with no response yet (but its only been a day)...

- Andy

Hrm. Is "GlobalScale" large enough that it can't be bothered to take phone calls from customers? I'm starting to see a patern here, and I can't say I like it. Unless they don't expect to sell more plugs than to excited early adopters (who will quickly become un-excited with more stories like this), the poor customer service will put a quick cap on their sales.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: