• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Author Topic: Sheevaplug installer - version 1.0  (Read 100153 times)
Nicolas

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2009, 09:20:29 AM »

The installer fails reliably on amd64 (ubuntu jaunty)

openocd/openocd: error while loading shared libraries: libftdi.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

investigating reveals:
:~/Desktop/sheevaplug-installer-v1.0/uboot/openocd$ ldd openocd
   linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7f79000)
   libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7f52000)
   libftdi.so.1 => not found
   libusb-0.1.so.4 => /lib32/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0xf7f48000)
   libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7de5000)
   /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7f7a000)
:~$ sudo aptitude install libftdi
:~$ whereis libftdi.so.1
libftdi.so: /usr/lib/libftdi.so.1 /usr/lib64/libftdi.so.1
:~$ ldconfig -p|grep libftdi
   libftdi.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libftdi.so.1

So libftdi is not included in the static openocd but I tested that a 32 bits version of jaunty do link libftdi.so.1 correctly.

Nicolas

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »

The installer fails reliably on amd64 (ubuntu jaunty)
Investigating reveals:
:~/Desktop/sheevaplug-installer-v1.0/uboot/openocd$ ldd openocd
   linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7f79000)
   libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7f52000)
so openocd is 32-bit
:~$ whereis libftdi.so.1
libftdi.so: /usr/lib/libftdi.so.1 /usr/lib64/libftdi.so.1
:~$ ldconfig -p|grep libftdi
   libftdi.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libftdi.so.1
and that entry in /usr/lib seems to be 64-bit, so won't be used.  I'll also assume the /usr/lib64 entry is 64-bit too (although ldconfig doesn't list it, which is odd??)
From looking at this I'd say that your install of libftdi is wrong, as you don't have a 32-bit one in /usr/lib.

Pete

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »

Had a little problem with the auto partitioning at the mmc installation. because i used an old mmc with one partition already on it, the installer was not able to do "mkfs.ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p2" (=> installation aborted). It created the new partition, but "/dev/mmcblk0p2" didn't exists. After starting the process a second time, everything went perfectly because the 2 partition were now available under "/dev" at the time the mmc loaded.

Pete

noone100

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »

Hi everyone

I set my MAC address in the uboot-nand-custom.txt file before flashing the new installer.

After flashing and rebooting, the SheevaPlug did not get an IP from the DHCP server.

Code:
root@ubuntu:~# dhclient eth0
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 1617
killed old client process, removed PID file
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:50:43:01:d9:2c
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:50:43:01:d9:2c
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Setting the IP manually (ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.134) did not help either.

I couldn't ping any ip address in my subnet.
Both LEDs are blinking.
Changed cables, restarted dhcpd. No luck.

Any help? Is the MAC address in uboot-nand-custom.txt somehow case sensitive?

noone100

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2009, 02:28:57 AM »

I'll anwser my post.

Power cycled switch. No luck.
Used another switch. Luck!

The network interface seems not to be compatible with one of my switches anymore.

Cheers

tspyrou

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »

I had good success with the installer version 1.0 on linux but could not get it working from windows. On Windows even though I could connect to the console with the serial port, runme.exe always reported that the serial connection was not there and asked me if the cable was connected. I tried power down etc as suggested but it did not help. On linux I was able to install everything and it worked great.

I built a custom kernel and tried to use it with the default rootfs but this caused a kernel panic and I had to go back to the original uImage. I don't know how to generate a rootfs image from my kernel compile. I tried with tar'ing from / but this kept including things I didn't want and I had a hard time getting --exclude to do what I wanted. I am new to kernel building and imagine there is a real way to do this. If anyone has an ideas it would be great.

I did plug in a USB Audio adapter but the sound that comes out is super loud and scratchy. Has anyone gotten USB audio to work? When I plugged in my usb audio adapter I got this in dmesg. I just used mpg123 as the player.

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 2
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »

Hi,

Regarding the USB Audio, I have my plug serving as a music jukebox @home, look @ the wiki http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/USB_Audio
There are some posts on the forum related to this topic that might help you, just search.

Regarding the installer on win32, are you using XP?

If you want the plug to use your custom kernel you might need to clean up the kernel modules that were installed in /lib. I suggest you use the config used in http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/ as base and add/remove from it drivers.

If you need a clean rootfs, take the Ubuntu rootfs.tar.gz from the installer http://plugcomputer.org/index.php/us/resources/downloads?func=fileinfo&id=53

tspyrou

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »

Thanks your wiki was how I got started an I bought the exact same usb sound adapter based on it.
I will search around some more. Since the adapter was recognized I thought maybe I didn't need the new kernel but it looks like its recognized but the right driver is not there.

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »

I'm on XP, and I've been having the same issues as reedy. Specifically, this part:

Code:
reedy@reedy-laptop:/media/disk/sheevaplug-installer-v1.0$ sudo php runme.php nand

**** Burning uboot and environment variables ... This will take few minutes ...
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.2.0 (2009-09-16-09:13) Release
$URL: http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/tags/openocd-0.2.0/src/openocd.c $
For bug reports, read http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/trunk/BUGS
2000 kHz
jtag_nsrst_delay: 200
jtag_ntrst_delay: 200
dcc downloads are enabled
Error: JTAG communication failure: check connection, JTAG interface, target power etc.
Error: trying to validate configured JTAG chain anyway...
Error: Could not validate JTAG scan chain, IR mismatch, scan returned 0x00. tap=feroceon.cpu pos=0 expected 0x1 got 0
Warn : Could not validate JTAG chain, continuing anyway...
Error: unexpected Feroceon EICE version signature
Error: unexpected Feroceon EICE version signature
Error: timed out while waiting for target halted

Thanks!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I was having what looked like exactly the same problem. I finally fixed it after getting a hint from this thread.

In uboot/openocd/config/interface/sheevaplug.cfg I stepped "jtag_khz 2000" first down to jtag_khz 1000 - still no go, then jtag_khz 500 and it worked. My uboot/openocd/config/interface/sheevaplug.cfg reads:

Code:
interface ft2232
ft2232_layout sheevaplug
ft2232_vid_pid 0x9e88 0x9e8f
ft2232_device_desc "SheevaPlug JTAGKey FT2232D B"
jtag_khz 500

passive

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2009, 01:31:25 PM »

I was having what looked like exactly the same problem. I finally fixed it after getting a hint from this thread.

In uboot/openocd/config/interface/sheevaplug.cfg I stepped "jtag_khz 2000" first down to jtag_khz 1000 - still no go, then jtag_khz 500 and it worked. My uboot/openocd/config/interface/sheevaplug.cfg reads:

Code:
interface ft2232
ft2232_layout sheevaplug
ft2232_vid_pid 0x9e88 0x9e8f
ft2232_device_desc "SheevaPlug JTAGKey FT2232D B"
jtag_khz 500

Thanks, I will try this next time I attempt to use the installer.

I was able to alleviate my immediate problem by installing a new kernel, but I'm sure it will be useful to use the installer at some point.

raydog153

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:02 AM »

Newbie here, got my plug, first thing I wanted to do was to upgrade to the version 1.0 installer since it wipes everything out. I got it working, but here are the issues I had, hoping this will be put into the readme, and that it will help other people.

• Background: I bought my plug 2 weeks ago, got it tues. Would be nice if it came with 1.0 installed, but it doesn't. Also as some suggest, it has the old usb vender/product keys, so just because you just bought it, doesn't mean it is a new unit. I am using windows xp sp3 at the moment to upgrade. I wanted to put the OS on an SD card, not nand or mmc.
  • First issue is that the docs say ssh works right out of the box, I couldn't get it to work
  • Second I tried to get the minicom working. I did, but it is very flacky, if move the miniusb connector, in windows device manager, the comport disappears and re-appears. Just banging on the floor would cause this issue. Not sure if it is cable or connector. Anyway, I wrapped it around the unit tightly to try to get it so it wouldn't shake around, seemed to work. From then on always unplugged the computer end to reset the connection.
  • After doing the quick start on the wiki, still no ssh, I decided to upgrade.
  • The documentation is very poor, talks about mmc, is that the SD card? I was confused, but it turns out that upgrading using the mmc option adds the OS to the SD card, very simple once you understand it.
  • Updated to new opencd as stated earlier in this thread after download of installer package
  • Very confused about install instructions, not very user friendly at all. In readme.txt, follow Installer Procedure step 1a (On windows you need CDM drivers and LibUSB drivers), step 1b is really the next Installation section. Why do you have two installation sections in a readme?Huh very confusing
  • In installation section, did step 1,2,4. Couldn't do step 3, no uboot-custom.txt file. I took one from uboot/uboot-env/uboot-mmc-custom.txt, renamed it, changed the mac address, copied it into installer dir before step 4. I have a feeling this isn't needed anymore, and that because you pass params into runme, it detects the correct file. So I also changed the mac address in the other custom files. Step 5,6 are the same as step 4. Did step 7, (ignored step 8,9 since I was already powered and had a serial connection), step 10, 11 (ran runme mmc) . Waited too long since I thought the runme was suppose to exit. Not the case...reread step 11.
  • I was able to serial in, and nothing was happening. I got the Marvell prompt. What happened? Where do I go from here. I reset the unit, saw it boot, and said it didn't have a valid usb device. But it was attached, it said it found 2 devices, etc... took me a while poking around and finally figuring out that my usb stick didn't want to work with the Sheevaplug. Tried another one. This worked better, but had issues reading the files. Third stick worked fine. Ran (run recover1) to start process over again, or reset plug to kick off install.
  • Then I got the error that Pete had above. It had issues creating/formatting the partitions on the mmc card. Restarting the plug fixed this.
  • I got the issue Marcus had above as well during this process about jtag errors, after the first time I got a successful upgrade. The only way I got around the issue was to reset the device with the serial attached, stop the boot process, get the marvel prompt, then try to upgrade the unit. If you don't what happens is that the upgrade process resets the unit and it boots too quickly into the OS so the jtag won't work.
  • Took me a while, a whole day to figure out everything and get it upgraded, and now have ubuntu on a 16gb SD card booting with the new uboot, etc... Hope this helps people.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »

Thanks for your feedbacks. The installer definitely lacks basic information; we will fix this in next release.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »

Also as some suggest, it has the old usb vender/product keys, so just because you just bought it, doesn't mean it is a new unit.
I have the old USB ids (product=0x9e8f vendor=0x9e88) but a new unit (~25mm gap between USB and network socket).  Perhaps it was just one batch that had an odd set of USB ids?

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »

Hi Reedy,

Well it looks like your Linux does see the two ttyUSB ports and there is no permission issue.
I occasionally get the same error from openocd, to recover I try the following:
* press the reset button with the paper clip
* unplug/plug the mini USB
* power cycle the plug
* rmmod and modprobe the device driver

One of the above gets the job done for me, now if it does not work for you then try:
* replacing the mini USB cable, users have complained that the mini USB socket can be loosy
* try the installer on a Linux machine
* try the installer on a XP machine (my last resort Wink)

I had one plug that was quite resistant to opencd's connection attempts. I got fed up of seeing these errors:

Code:
Error: timed out while waiting for target halted
Runtime error, file "openocd/config/board/sheevaplug.cfg", line 21:
     **** openocd FAILED
 **** Is the mini USB cable connected?
 **** Try powering down, then replugging the Sheevaplug

Every time opencd tried to do its thing, it would *immediately* trigger a reboot of the plug - which I could see in the console, and by the ethernet connection alerts on my desktop.

Of course I tried disconnecting / reconnecting, rebooting the host, power cycling the plug, all sorts.

Eventually I had success by using a paperclip on the reset button and *immediately* after releasing the button, running runme.php. (Well, let's say 2 or 3 seconds later - it wasn't quite simultaneous).

bgrattan

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »

Hello,

It seems I'm having problems with the Installer 1.0 that have already been reported but, after trying quite a few solutions I've read here, I'm still stuck.  I damaged my plug trying to move the boot from flash to SD.  I can still get the Marvell>> prompt but when it tries to boot (Linux) then I get the Bad Magic Number 00800000  I've tried the installer on both XP and Ubuntu 9.04 with no luck.  I have only a basic knowledge of Linux but it seems as if the USB stick (I've tried several with FAT32 and EXT2/3) in the plug isn't beeing accessed.  I'm attaching two files: one with Linux results and the other with XP.  My verson is 0x9e88.  Thanks for any help you can offer.
Thanks  BG

* installer1.0_errors.txt (9.62 KB - downloaded 521 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Jump to: