• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hardware/Software Improvements for the plug  (Read 5376 times)
Manic

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »

Hey guys, Im  still waiting for my plugs to arrive, I am basing my Msc project on them... glad to find theres a forum here ;p

Here pls post any improvements you'd like to see in future plugs. Mine is ethernet over power, in addition to the standard ethernet port. This makes sense as the plug is already directly connected on AC power, and would be useful for clustering the plugs.

temp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:25:10 AM »

Nice would be:

• Audio Output (would be a very nice and powerfull mp3 radio)
  • HDMI or DVI output for TV or Desktop application (and with TV output a media player)
  • more usb ports

its a little bit to much for the actual case Wink

greets Temp

lamestllama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:23:22 AM »

I would be adding X10 for home automation. Not a lot of extra hardware is required to do this and could probably done in the same form factor.
Also on the automation front adding an I2C bus should be straight forward and again probably could fit in the same form factor

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »

Well, if you check the Datasheet you'll see most of that stuff is built into the chipset, so it should be fairly easy to have different versions. I would love to see a sheevaplug with Digital Audio and DVI (media center).
Also, check openrd, it cost the double but has VGA, audio, 7 USB ports and eSata, itís a monster.

Manic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

wow the openrd also looks nice.. probably the big brother of the sheeva  Cool

Dont forget that many types of sd expansion cards exist out there.. they should also provide interesting developments.

mprince

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »

I just started looking at some of the options for SDIO and got pretty excited. There are wifi cards, bluetooth, and flash memory cards. They seem a little more expensive than the usb options, but they do make up for it in small size.

I hope someone will report here what works in the SDIO slot.

-------

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:23:21 AM by mprince » Logged

mcm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 01:44:28 AM »

we should remember that SheevaPlug is a base system and therefore contains only the basic components. Nevertheless a wireless extension would have been nice. And I hope with the time there will be some manufacturers that will add gfx (dvi & tv-out), audio i/o, wireless and maybe even bluetooth. QNAP has already a box but it's the bare SheevaPlug.... what a shame....

That's why I'm looking for an usb sound card (probably TerraTec Aureon Dual USB) and a preferably 2 port usb hub. but this will extend the device outside and make it ugly...

I also wish to see an option for a plug european form-8...

btw: those SDIO cards are nice but with 4x the price of the usb counterparts just too expensive. also it would be nice to see SDIO hubs like usb hubs....

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:10:46 AM »

Yeah, it would be nice to see a complete plug with audio and video, however I still think it may not be enough, unless somebody adds some sort of HW decoder I don't think the 1.2 ghz CPU can decode HD content, but anyway, I may try to add a USB sound card I have around here, maybe it is worth a try.

rcm89

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »

Definitely WiFi instead of  [or at least in addition to] the wired ethernet.  For now I'll be using a lot of plugged-in USB devices and that's okay in a development world, but for the end users, they should be able to just plug it in the wall and use it.

--Ron

--Ron

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »

Depends on the application, for sure. I'd be happy to have a wireless-N version for some things, but for "server" applications I think gig ethernet is terrific (most other low-power solutions are 10/100).

More USB ports!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: