• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Power Plug rev 1.3 j6 uart and j7  (Read 25738 times)
superpat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 02:39:12 AM »

Hi,

You do not appear to be measuring the 3.3V at the correct pad !

The 3.3v is connected to the top of  C197. ( Not fitted as standard)

C197  is  situated on the Marvell CPU side of the PCB to the right hand side of the CPU   The other side to your picture!

The other pads of the 3.3v filter C78  C79 C196 are NOT connected to 3.3V until the ferrite BIT7 is installed

However BIT7 pin 2 should have given 3.3 V is also connected to C197 hot side .

ON MY PLUG PCB, measuring between the black pin of the 5v power connector and the two pads of BIT7 I get the CORRECT 3.3v on the lower pad, nearest the edge of the pcb (your green pin1)

BTW,

This Esata part from Mouser fits exactly to the pcb   Mouser p/n 649-10067172-70CLF   manf # 10067172-70CLF

Finally Soldering the components.

The components are VERY VERY difficult to solder. They are minute 0402 size apart from the ferrite (0603),  and the difficulty has been increased since Global Scale used  a solder paste mask which included the unfitted components. This means that the pads already have big bumps of solder on them that have to be removed before one can solder the caps and ferrite in place, otherwise you get tomb stoning!

If you have not hand soldered 0402's before, do NOT start to learn on this pcb.  You need a proper rework soldering station, a microscope (or other optical aides) and a great deal of patience.

I am waiting for delivery of another 0.2mm radius tip bit for my iron, my existing bit has worn down too much. I have soldered the 4 serial caps in the esata lines, but need  the new bit now.

Unfortunately it has been held up in the UK postage strike for over a week!

unreal

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 06:12:47 AM »

However BIT7 pin 2 should have given 3.3 V is also connected to C197 hot side .

ON MY PLUG PCB, measuring between the black pin of the 5v power connector and the two pads of BIT7 I get the CORRECT 3.3v on the lower pad, nearest the edge of the pcb (your green pin1)

So am I mesuring in the right place, but with the wrong ground reference! What are you using for the ferite? I've tried using a 100 ohm resistor instead, without succes... Since the circuit is just a filter to deliver a nice clean +3.3V to the Marvell SoC, I don't see the need for a ferite here. Any idea?

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »

Hi,

A 100 ohm  resistor is no good.  You will drop all your volts across it!

Unfortunately Global did not release the BOM for the V1.3 Plug. However if you look at the BOM for the original version,  a spec and part number  for a similar ferrite is:-

60 ohm IMPEDANCE 25% tolerance 100MHz 3A dc 0603  TCMA 160808-U0060.

I could not find a supplier for this one  but chose a Mouser / Kemet part Z0603C600APMST,   this is a 60 ohm imp 2.5A device. This has a dc resistance of 0.1 ohm.

The BIT7 is a series inductor, used in a "pi" filter to suppress HF noise in and out on the 3.3v rail to and from the sata port.  The ferrite inductor is PART of the filter and should not be omitted.

I have attached a pdf of the Mouser ferrites for you.

best of luck

Patrick

* 989.PDF (120.85 KB - downloaded 409 times.)

unreal

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »

OK, I think I understand a bit better... The filter circuit isn't just to pull up an "enable_sata" pin, it's actually powering the SATA circuit in the Marvell SoC, hence the low DC resistance of the ferite?

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 09:50:36 AM »

Hi

You are correct.  The filter system provides the 3.3V to the sata subsystem.

When I first got my Plug, I happened to look all the way through the dmesg output of boot up.  One of the entries said, (from memory) something like "Sata subsystem not powered up".

If you look at the various sheets of the V1.3 schematics,  (they are a bit confusing, since only parts of the CPU dealing with the title on that sheet are drawn out). you will eventually find that the sata subsystem, the usb subsystem and the ethernet subsystem all have individual power input pins.

I suppose the main reason is that the OEM's  using the Marvell  computer on a chip,  only need to power up the parts of the CPU and subsystems that they are going to use in their designs, thus saving on total power consumption in their design.

It is also easier to filter the HF noise out of the 3.3V supplies by putting in several small filters. Filters that have a "large" dc current, (amps), mean that you need a physically large inductor, to prevent it saturating.  Remember the cpu is clocked at 1.2 GHz, there is going to be a lot of noise generated from the clock and cpu  switching.

cheers

Patrick

unreal

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »

Well, well, well...

So, I found a surface mounting ferite of unknown impedance and DC resistance of 0.2 ohm in my box of bits, and a 1uF capacitor (C196). I soldered both on the PCB, and booted the SheevaPlug. Result: +3.3V delivered to SoC, but "Warning Sata is Powered Off" in dmesg... Sad

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »

Hi

Well you have done the easy stuff, the hard stuff starts now!

I have to have a proper think about this!

First guess,  the boot up message is hard coded from the sata driver to say that the sata is not powered, because it wasn't designed to be powered in the plug. 

I cannot find a sata "power ok" signal that the kernel would use. There are a couple of sata status signals mentioned in the marvel data sheet, but who knows?

However looking more carefully at the plug schematic and the
marvell data sheet, what you have connected is called the Sata analogue voltage.

We may have missed another missing component or link, need to pore over the schematic again.

What kernel and uboot  are you trying.   You will probably need to  look to the openrd-base kernel to get an idea of the patches used on that device.  I haven't had time yet to see if the sata driver patches have been incorporated in the present kernels

I am off on a family visit to see my new grand daughter today,  so cannot do any research.  There is a 794 page marvell functional specification doc on the net, not the short sales data sheet. It is probably worth a read.

I cannot post the document, one it is MArvell's and 2) it is too big! bu this is the title:- FS_88F6180_9x_6281_OpenSource.pdf

cheers

Patrick

Edit  added detail on document
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:14:10 AM by superpat » Logged

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »

Hi, I have had a quick browse of the functional spec, Sata section, there is a LOT there.  ( see previous post)

One thing I noticed... You DO need to have a connected, powered up Sata Drive on the serial ports of the interface otherwise the interface shuts down ( I think)

You need to look at the kernel drivers and modules installed, I don't know how the Sata interface appears, i.e. would you see it with a lspci command? There has to be high level status visibility of the interface by the O/S.

There is also a control register, where the two sata interfaces can be shut off.  It may be worthwhile using the JTAG  to look at the bits set in that register, if all else fails.

keep us posted of progress

I am now waiting for my second set of soldering iron tips to arrive, the first have gone to the Royal Mail black hole.

cheers

P

Guai888

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »

Hi Superpat,

Is this the Uboot that you use?

http://code.google.com/p/openrd/downloads/list

I think I have put on the component correct. I will change the Uboot and give it another try.

Best Regards
Paul Liu

Digmecy09
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »

You should be able to fit a standard ATX power supply and regular sized video card into your case as its a "tower case" and not a slim unit. What are you planning on doing with the computer? Gaming, watching movies?

Digmecy09
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »

Hi,

I just changed the battery in my T615 and now the power button doesnt work. 

I can turn the unit off using the power off command but the only way I can turn it on is to unplug the battery and then plug it back in.  Not the best method if you are trying to keep your data

Anyone have any ideas other than trashing it?  Thanks

CosmicBogeyman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 07:08:07 PM »

I was searching for the same answer regarding the jtag interface and came on this thread.   I found the schematics for the V1.3 board on the documenation page.    Not sure of the connector needed, as I don't have the BOM.

Schematics are attached.  J4 is indeed the connector for jtag.   I'm trying to get this running with a multi-ice unit to allow for code debug, etc.   

* schematics_v13.pdf (792.66 KB - downloaded 397 times.)

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 07:03:52 AM »

Hi,

I would like to use the currently unused serial uart connection in my "old" Sheevaplug V1.3.

This is the 4 pin header J6.  or the 6 pin header J7

I never found a BOM for the V1.3 Sheevaplug, so I do not know the mating cable connectors for J6 or J7

Please can anyone inform me of a suitable part?

If all else fails I will solder wires to the pins, but I will try to be tidy first!

Also has anyone succeeded in using this uart under Linux,  i.e. what device will it present?

regards

Patrick

bnborg

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »

My new Sheeva Plug 003-SP1001 has a Power Plug V7R1 board.  It came with J2, J4, J7. and J16 populated (with jacks).  It also seems to have all the necessary caps and choke for the 7-pin eSata jack, J10.  There are also a number of additional unpopulated jack sites.  Here is the list:

• J1  - External Ethernet
  • J2  - 2-pin jack labeled 2.5v
  • J3  - 4-pin from power supply
  • J4  - 8-pin jack
  • J5  - Ext. USB
  • J6  - 6-pin jack position
  • J7  - 3-pin jack labeled Uart
  • J8  - Ext. SD slot
  • J9  - Ext. Mini USB
  • J10 - 7-pin eSata jack position
  • J11 - 4-pin jack position
  • J12 - 1-pin position
  • J13 - 4-pin jack position
  • J14 - 4-pin jack position, CPU side, opposite of J14
  • J16 - 10pin jack

Whatever they are, not all would be usefull.  There's a couple of unpopulated chip positions, U12 and U17, not to mention associated caps resisters, etc.  I'll try to capture some images and post them.

bnborg

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »

Here are my images:

Oh well.  I guess I don't have link posting priviledges yet.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: