• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Updated Marvell Docs and Files  (Read 4075 times)
jdonth

Azle, Texas

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:54:07 AM »

I just visited the Marvell web site and the "File System" (http://www.marvell.com/files/product...FileSystem.zip) file is now listed at 538K.

The previous version I downloaded was 133M. Anyone know what's happening?

Also there is a new file "USB Recovery". It does not contain any documentation - any idea what it is?

Finally, have any of the other files changed? I can't tell by the file names.

Thanks,
~Joe Donth

...I've always depended on the kindness of strangers

bfmorgan
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »

Marvell has been updating several files over the last couple of days.

So far I have as new:
SheevaPlug_U-Boot.zip
SheevaPlug_USB-Recovery.zip
SheevaPlug_LSP.zip
SheevaPlug_FileSystem.zip

jdonth

Azle, Texas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »

Thanks,
Any idea on the change in size of the Filesystem from 133mb to 538kb?
What is the "USB Recovery" file?
~Joe

jdonth

Azle, Texas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »

Oops. Sorry for the confusion. I was comparing the compressed vs uncompressed sizes.

Still not sure what the "USB Recovery" file is for.

bfmorgan
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »

Just noticed that SheevaPlug_DocumentationPackage.zip has changed. All the files have been updated.

bfmorgan
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »

The SheevaPlug_DocumentationPackage.zip has changed again. Latest dates on the files are 4/20/2009 and 4/21/2009 and include SheevaPlug Development Kit - USB Flash Recovery from U-Boot-Rev1.2.pdf

Hope this helps,

Pandemonium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »

It contains files for flashing a U-boot image and/or the root file image to the plug via a USB flash drive plugged into the plug's USB port.  The other documented method is by booting (mostly) the same data from a linux host via tftp/nfs.  The USB method is quicker and simpler to set up.

jdonth

Azle, Texas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »

It contains files for flashing a U-boot image and/or the root file image to the plug via a USB flash drive plugged into the plug's USB port.  The other documented method is by booting (mostly) the same data from a linux host via tftp/nfs.  The USB method is quicker and simpler to set up.

That sounds great! Where is the documentaton on this?

Pandemonium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »

It's in the documentation package, titled USB Flash Recovery from U-boot.  The process is essentially the same as flashing from NFS, but without all the hassle of setting up an NFS server.

You may want to follow my thread on problems with it over in the U-boot section of the forum before you try it yourself.  I spent about four hours last night trying to flash from USB, and end up with nothing but a kernel panic.  I've followed all their documentation, other hints from around the net, and a few of my own ideas.  Not sure if it's specific to my device, or if it's a general problem.

bfmorgan
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »

Pandemonium is not alone. I have been beating my head against the screen all day trying to get past the kernel panic. FYI, there is new docs on how to recover from a USB drive on the Marvell site. It was placed there today.

They corrected one step after flashing the NAND by changing the bootargs command from the previous version of the doc.

However, it still doesn't work. There is a thred at http://openplug.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=133.0 and several other in the U-Boot section that are trying to address this problem.

Stay tuned...

Pandemonium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01:25 AM »

The kernel panic is solved.  The zipped jffs2 image posted on Marvell's site is corrupt.  Use the one from your disk and it works great.

See here:
http://openplug.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=139.msg820#msg820

bfmorgan
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »

Just an update... The SheevaPlug_FileSystem.zip on Marvell is getting a 404 - File not Found error since last night. I hope this means they are updating the file.

bfmorgan
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:44 PM »

The Marvell site has now placed the original ubuntu-9.0.5.Release.jffs2 back on their download site http://www.marvell.com/files/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/SheevaPlug_Filesystem.zip. It is the same size as the one on the CD.

I haven't confirmed that it works. If someone is working with their plug could confirm this file is good that will help.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:58:11 PM by bfmorgan » Logged

Brian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »

I was able to do a USB recovery based on the ubuntu-9.0.5.Release.jffs2  filesystem (file size: 142475264) and the version 1.2 usb recovery u-boot and u-image with an ext2 formatted flash drive.

Two caveats that aren't covered clearly in the documents however.  the reset is critical, I had a number of times when the plug did not detect the USB filesystem until I did another reset.  It also searches for specific filenames on the drive when you type rcvr.  in paritcular uImage.recovery,  a symlink worked.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:17:35 AM by Brian » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: