• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this halt msg normal on the -rc6 kernel poweroff?  (Read 1485 times)
CqCn

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »

If I have the console on, when I do a poweroff, the last couple of lines are:
Code:
* Deconfiguring networks  [OK]
* Deactivating swaps         [OK]
* Stopping remaining crypto disks [OK]
* Stopping early crypto disks [OK]
* Will now halt
halt: Unable to system halted
iterative IDE devices: no such file or directory.

Is the above error msg seen by others?  Is that normal?

My /proc/cmline (the one which started the kernel was):
console=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=orion_nand:0x400000@0x10000(uImage),0x1fb00000@0x500000(rootfs) rootfsytpe=ext2 rootdelay=10 root=/dev/sda1 notime,rw

Cordially, CqCn

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:37:17 PM »

Is the Plug even capable of halting itself?  I guess I've never tried to do this -- I've only commanded it to reboot itself.  Has anyone successfully halted a Plug?  (My guess would be no.)

calamari

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »

I'm getting exactly the same messages, but I have no idea if there's a problem with that / how to fix it.

CqCn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »

restamp, I always poweroff before I  plug out cards or usb; I know poweroff does something useful, since the power led on my usb device goes off.  With reboot, it is very hard to time when to unplug things safely.  You may be right it may never be shutting down completely.  If I remember correctly, *nix has a couple shutdown options, one where it reduces itself root only, single user operation, and the other one is a real shutdown, and finally turning the power off.  Even most server only appliances do provide those modes; the software probably can be made to do all of these, except the last one if a hardware poweroff circuitry has not been provided.

BTW, where can one see the console log on bootup, shutdown, after the fact if no console was connerted or monitored?

Cordially, CqCn

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »

Interesting.  I wonder what the kernel does when it is unable to halt the system.  It seems to just loop, which is probably not a bad strategy.

BTW, CqCn, after a shutdown, as far as I know all the console shutdown messages are lost, except what is stored in the /var/log files.  You need to have a console connected to see what occurs during a shutdown.  On a boot, however, a lot of the console contents are stored in the kernel's ring buffer.  Type "dmesg" to see them.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: