• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newbie to plug computer  (Read 1601 times)
captain08

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »

Sorry for my poor English and basic question. I'm looking for a plug computer (to made a home appliance). What can i -must- buy ?
Only the plug computer ? I heard it's need to but a developper kit ? Right  Wrong ?

Can i buy only the plug computer (quantity=1) and play with it ?

Thanks

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »

Yes, developer kit is what you want $99US

You can order them single..

captain08

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »

ok thanks.

Is the plug computer comes with a distribution (by default) ?

AutoStatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:46:58 AM »

Yes, Ubuntu 9.04.
But it's pretty easy to install another distro (Debian, Gentoo, Fedora). I use Debian myself.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:34:30 AM by AutoStatic » Logged

sunnyboy70

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:16:53 AM »

I have the same question. Never used a plug computer - but have some exposure to linux.

Does this Sheeva Plug come with a OS pre-installed. Is it good to go out of the box? I basically want to replace my 7 yrs old linux server which just runs a webserver.

Thanks...

AutoStatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 06:33:14 AM »

Hello sunnyboy70, the SheevaPlug comes pre-installed with Ubuntu 9.04, aka Jaunty Jackalope. This is fine for running a simple webserver. The OS runs from the internal NAND memory though. So most Sheevans use an SD card or an external USB drive to run the OS from to prevent the NAND from wearing out too quickly.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 06:35:24 AM »

So most Sheevans use an SD card or an external USB drive to run the OS from to prevent the NAND from wearing out too quickly.

Is this true?  Got a source for this info?  I run from internal NAND, as that is clearly what it's designed for.   If it does mean "wearing out" the internal memory, I would like to know about it..

AutoStatic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/SD_Card_As_Root_File_System
This is the procedure I followed in order to use an SD card, rather than the internal NAND flash, as the root file system. My reasons to do this are in order to have a bigger root FS (I'm using 8GB), in order to avoid hammering the internal flash and wearing it out, and to make it easy to make duplicate plugs, by simply by duplicating the SD card.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:16:21 AM »

So most Sheevans use an SD card or an external USB drive to run the OS from to prevent the NAND from wearing out too quickly.

Is this true?  Got a source for this info?  I run from internal NAND, as that is clearly what it's designed for.   If it does mean "wearing out" the internal memory, I would like to know about it..

The plug comes by default with JFFS2 and can be replaced using installer alpha-6 with ubifs.
Both those filesystems makes sure to spread the writes over the whole NAND to make it wear our much less. BTW - the same technology is used in SD cards and external USB sticks.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: