• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Accessing Sheeva on a Windows Vista X64 machine  (Read 3239 times)
graviton

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:49:40 AM »

Hi,

For now I don't wanna use Linux because I am not running it yet on my new machine...

So, I gave my Sheeva juice, connected the mini usb to my PC, connected the RJ45 to my Router, installed driver amd64, everything gets recognized under "USB Controllers"-> USB Composite, USB Serial Converter A and B.

When I try to do a discovery I cannot find it in my list, network settings are "private" with network sharing enabled.

Read every tutorial I could find, followed all steps but nothing, I have Putty but if my Sheeva does not get discovered in Network "Show full map", then what am I supposed to do  Embarrassed ?

I can understand that Linux is the best way to go, obviously due to the fact that the OS on the Sheeva is Linux but it has to work on Windows as well for now Smiley

Thx for any responses.

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »

I've been accessing my SheevaPlug from Windows XP Pro without a hitch.  You need to be more specific on what instructions you read and followed, giving generalizations, i.e. "Read every tutorial I could find, followed all steps",  doesn't allow me to know what you really read and did.  If I knew what you were referencing and at what point your experience diverges from the reference material, then I and others would be better equipped to render assistance.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

graviton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »

Followed this one, http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Configure_u-Boot_on_the_Plug_Computer

Just rebooted Sheeva, Vista gives message that device is not started after give or take 10 minutes.

After the reboot I can logon with Putty, there is absolutely no need to use the link I posted above?

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »

You won't see your Sheevaplug on any network map unless it's running Samba, and it won't by default. That's fine though. If you want to connect to it you can either connect via SSH (which, I don't think is installed by default), which is a way to dial in to your plug via your network connection.

If it's your first time though, you can use putty to go through the comport (mine is 4) with a speed of 115200. Press a key or something to get it to print something out to the console.

I'm connecting with putty via SSH or Serial from Windows 7, so vista 64 should work fine as well. The serial connection is FTDI I believe, and I am sure they have a vista 64 driver you can use.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what your problem is.

Djinn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:55:31 AM »

I also had a hard time getting the serial connection to work with Vista x64.  The USB installed automatically but never showed up in the ports section of the device manager.  I was able to fix this by using the "setup executable" package for the drivers on the FTDI website.  For whatever reason this fixed my problem, two USB ports (COM5 & COM6) showed up under ports.  From there it was short work to correct the speed and then connect using putty.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss, I don't know why it worked this way and not the other (clearly user error).

Link to FTDI: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

boerner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »

Don't know if my experience is relevant in this case (I was using XP 32-bit), but I had similar symptoms (on Windows boxes, Linux worked fine)

I had previously installed some FTDI drivers (for both a USB-TTL cable for Arduino programming and a FTDI USB to Serial dongle) so I thought Sheeva would be recognized ok. It seemed to be when I plugged in it, but as you describe no virtual COM ports were created. I used FTDI's troubleshooting PDF and it pointed me in the right direction. I looked in Device Manager and changed the view to View Devices by connection and drilled down to the USB port where the USB to Serial Converters were detected. Right-clicking on the device gave me a dialog with an Advanced tab that had a checkbox for Load VCP (virtual com port). As soon as I checked the box for both converters, the COM ports were detected.

Perhaps when you ran the executable package from FTDI, this twiddled the right knobs? I also ran the package but still had issues. I have attached two relevant screen shots for anyone interested.

* 001_Enable_VCP.JPG (23.78 KB, 512x455 - viewed 594 times.)

* 002_DeviceManager.JPG (45.73 KB, 512x419 - viewed 595 times.)

AutoStatic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »

Hello graviton, you need to set up Samba on the SheevaPlug: http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Share_With_Windows_Using_Samba
Then you should be able to see the SheevaPlug in your Windows Network environment.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: