• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which USB hard drive would you recommend for a 24/7 server?  (Read 4977 times)
Grish

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:13:35 AM »

Hi,

I ordered a plug which I want to use as a 24/7 (web)server and I want to attach a USB drive,
so I can access my files from anywhere. I want to buy a new USB drive for this purpose, because
I need my other one for other things Wink.

So I'd like to ask which USB drives you would recommend for that purpose. It should not use too
much power, not get too hot, and it should be robust enough for 24/7 usage.

Any thoughts on that? Which drives would/do you use?

bye
Grish

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:04:02 AM »

I would suggest getting a cheap external enclosure and selecting the 2.5" drive of your choice.  I've had good luck with inexpensive enclosures.  for example you could select an e-sata compatible enclosure if you think you might want to attach it to another computer at a higher data rate.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

newegg has a huge selection of 2.5" drives.  For your application it sounds like you'd probably want to lean more to low-power -vs- performance.  I've got a 320G 7200RPM Seagate in one of my notebooks that works pretty well.

joosty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »

I have experience with Seagate and Lacie external hard drives. I like the Seagates because they automatically spin down after about 10 mins of inactivity, saving power, generating less heat and longer lifespan. The Lacie didn't spin down ever, so I sold it (got way too hot for my liking also).

I also have used a 3.5" hard drive inside an external enclosure, but I didn't like it. Too hot and resonates a lot, very annoying.

Joost
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:00:09 AM by joosty » Logged

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »

FWIW, personally I'm using the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149075

mostly because it was what I had lying around and not tied up on some other project.  It runs quite cool, even though I don't think it spins down (but then I might be mistaken).  I like the fact that it doesn't require a separate power cable.  I am using a powered hub, though.  Comes with a 3 yr warrantee.

The 5400 RPM might be a show stopper for some folks, but I question the advantage of a fast RPM drive in a USB environment.

Grish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:59:56 AM »

Hey, thx for sharing your thoughts.

Right now I have a seagate extreme 1 tb, but  I do not like the fact that you cannot
use it via USB and eSata simultaniously. I need to use this drive with my laptop via
eSata and so I can not use it for the plug, at least not fulltime.

That's why I want to buy a new one, but maybe I'll get a seagate again Tongue

I never tried external enclosures... Would you prefer them over a usual external drive
for my intended purpose?

bye,
Grish

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »

I doub't that any drive lets you hook up USB and eSata at the same time. Besides that, if you want to do this, you need a cluster filesystem.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »

Western Digital MyBook Mirror.   2TB (or 1TB of mirrored goodness).

Dammuozz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »

I have experience with Seagate and Lacie external hard drives. I like the Seagates because they automatically spin down after about 10 mins of inactivity, saving power, generating less heat and longer lifespan. The Lacie didn't spin down ever, so I sold it (got way too hot for my liking also).

Joost
using the command "hdparm" you can set this and many other power saving options....
install with $ sudo apt-get install hdparm
and see $ man hdparm

Wink

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »

I'm going to try using a 128GB (yes, G not M) USB SSD/flash thumb drive for my app/server.  I already minimise traffic to bulk storage in in existing system with several layers of cacheing, and so, for example, bandwidth should not be a critical issue.

I'm going this route to minimise power consumption.

However, I haven't done it yet.  Still too chicken even to load up a new kernel: hacker's block and fear of the bricked device!

Rgds

Damon

boerner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »

Even if you brick it, you should be able to get back up and running using the Installer package. It was just updated today and now also runs in Windows as well as Linux. Check the u-boot section of the forum for info and the download section of plugcomputer.org to get started.

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 10:30:50 AM »

The installer stuff can't be run from my MacBook, and I managed to semi-brick trying to just upgrade the kernel in place!

More here: http://www.earth.org.uk/note-on-SheevaPlug-setup.html#setup

So I guess that I'll have to get my x86 Linux system set up to unbrick the plug, though in the longer run the aim is to replace the x86 box with the plug, so it's not something I especially want to have to rely on...

Rgds

Damon

boerner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 01:22:07 PM »

Depending on how your mac is configured, you could always boot from an Ubuntu LiveCD and run the process that way. I haven't tried it on my MacBook Pro yet, but I also bet you could install Linux in a virtual machine within Virtualbox and get it to work that way too.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Both Ubuntu and Virtualbox are free as in beer so no real monetary cost.

I have run the alpha-6 installer from my Ubuntu box at work but haven't tried the new 1.0 installer from Windows yet. I may try natively on Windows and virtually on my Mac. Only difference is I am running VM Fusion instead of Virtual Box, but I guess I could install that as well. There goes my weekend...

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »

Interesting, running Linux in a VM on my Mac... Would also let me test a few things that are currently hard to do on my Mac directly...

I got a *little* further BTW, having found a typo in my bootargs...

Rgds

Damon

sillis
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:29:54 AM »

Hi,

I recommend Western Digital My Passport Essential. Very silent, especially if you have some old mousepad underneath it to remove the resonance due to moving parts. Works great with belkin active usb hub..

Uptime on my server says 97 days so its smooth sailing for me. Smiley

digitlman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »

++ to the WDC Passport.   My 160 Gig model is donig just fine.

As an aside...when I upgrade to the 500G model, I don't want to re-install everythng again.   Do you think I would be able to clone one drive to another using Acronis and have it work?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: