• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flash Corruption- USB controller broken??  (Read 3572 times)
Daniel Ng

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:17:33 AM »

Hi,

I fear I have a HW issue-

-Upon bootup, my Dreamplug is able to read the kernel from flash but fails to mount the root filesystem
-As you can see from the below output, it thinks the root filesystem is corrupt
-However, when I try the Micro SD card in my laptop, fsck reports no errors (on both the kernel vfat partition and rootfs ext3 partition)
-I have also tried plugging in a flash card reader into either USB port (and changing the u-boot parameters to point to sdb2/sdc2 for the rootfs instead) , but I get the same sort of flash corruption errors

http://pastebin.com/06Ub22e7

Has my USB HW somehow failed? What can I try to get my Dreamplug to boot successfully from flash?

Cheers,
Daniel

@embeddedmelb- Embedded Software Development in Melbourne, Australia

trampjuice

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »

I have the near exact same symptioms.
I found the network the plug runs, and has run for 3 years, started to become erratic, going down and I had to reboot to get it going again. This persisted for a couple of days, and I thought it was the SD card - but that checked out fine. Then I thought it was the USB Hub or USB HDD - but they were fine. Eventually after its umpteeth reboot, the  ip address for the plug became erractic and then died. I couldn't believe it. The plug would'nt then boot and access was only via the miniUSB port.

I have had to create  a unbuntu partition on my windows 7 computer, and get familiar with the openocd and ESIA software (which doesn't work without fiddling of course!) and been falshing U-Boot to it via the mini usb, but still cannot get it to boot and image. It seems to be fine for the first 20 mins, but after that becomes erratic and refuses to load images from my tftp server.

I cannot get its ip address on the network, but tftp still seems to work fine, as long as the plug's serverip env var is set to the tftp server and gatewayip is set.
ipaddr can be anything and it still loads from the tftp server - just as well as it doesn't seem to use IP but UDP.

Anyway, I am hopeful it may be the PSU - I binned the original PSU years ago and stuck in a 2A5V switched mode PSU. Or - the nand may be knackered, or component failure as it get hot - (capacitors) may be the problem. Its a damm shame but after spending a week on this I will have to give it up and look for another reliable linux low powered server.

trampjuice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »

IT WAS THE PSU!!!

It has taken me this long to connect a regulated bench PSU. INSANE. My old PSU was a cheap  220V in 5v 2a out dc, so at UK 240v it gradually must have failed over about 2 years. 

Have replaced and hopefully trouble free from now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: