• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: D2Plug - reinstall u-boot on bricked device  (Read 3568 times)
aleone

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »

Hi,

I recently bricked my d2plug.  When I connect it via serial, all I see is Bootstrap 2.33 prompt.  Anyone know how to fix this?  I just want to get it back to were I can see the Marvell prompt.  I bought the GuruPlug JTAG device but I do not see any instructions on how to actually use this device with the d2plug.  Globalscale informed me that the guruplug JTAG works for the d2plug but I am not sure how to technically use it.   I have contacted GlobalScale about this issue, but have not received a response.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

On a side note, I would have bout the Marvell debugger that is in the d2plug documentation, but Marvell would not get back to me about purchasing it and I couldn't seem to find it online anywhere. 

mentor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »

reference below link

http://www.plugcomputer.org/405/us/d2plug/documentation/D2Plug-Software-User-Guide.pdf

check page 18 "D2Plug U-Boot Recovery with Marvell XDB Debugger"

GlotzerHotze

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »

Hi,

I do have the same problem. I've spent days now looking for a solution. Nothing worked out so far.

@mentor:
please read the original post. there is little to no help giving a link to a pdf that does in no way help any further. sure, we need a XDB Debugger and the Marvell extreme debugger as it says in the documentation. but that doesn't help with the question WHERE TO BUY such equipment.

btw, I think it is totally shitty to tell people to use tools only professionals working in hardware-development are able to get their hands on.

Or does someone here have a link for a download for the "Marvell eXtreme Debugger" software?

Thanks
glotzerhotze

pluginventor

Get your PXA168 Plugcomputer DevKit - gplugD now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »

XDB from Marvell supports the Backstone (JTAG I/F instrument by Marvell available from distributors of Marvell for ~$500) and GTI's Guruplug JTAG I/F (listed for $39 on their site, that also includes the 8-pin cable for D2Plug).
The main issue here is that XDB application can be downloaded only from Marvell Extranet that requires establishig NDA.
Please go ahead and contact Marvell sales (Distributor in your area) and request access to PXA510 folder on Extranet.

Meanwhile, hoping that community can provide OpenOCD configuration to program the SPI NOR flash on D2Plug.

GlotzerHotze

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »

Yeah, talkin' about NDA...

I ended up calling about three or four "Sales Representatives", asking about a solution for the problem. But there is none, unless people are willing to found an IT-company. Because only then one would be applicable to apply for an account at Marvell's extranet... Bummer!!! Thanks a lot Marvell!!! Nice product support!!!

I also wrote an email to the people at globalscale technologies, since I bought my D2Plug incl. the guruplug jtag-device at that place. The answer was talking about shipping a new SPI flash with the correct u-boot on it to my place. And I would have to brush up on my soldering skills, since the solution involves opening the plug and changing the SPI flash with a soldering iron...

So customers are stuck with either a bricked plug lacking the needed software to flash u-boot or customers can take a chance at soldering a new part onto the platine... Looking at the parts after taking them apart, I don't think average-joe like me will be able to successfully solder anything off that plug, not even thinking of putting something back on there with a soldering iron.

The only thing left, as far as I understand the whole mess here, is becoming an openocd expert and converting the d2plug.xdb files to an openocd compatible format. Probably should have done that the first thing and not waste two weeks of time and endless hours of effort to find an easy way out of this chicken/egg situation.

So here it comes: anybody got some good links explaining the openocd cfg-format? or any information regarding the subject at hand here?

Thanks
glotzerhotze

ps: looking at hardware specs, the CuBox apparently is almost equal to the d2plug. their wiki talks about a possibility of flashing the plug with a serial (no-jtag) connection and a u-boot.specific-model.UART.bin file. Now I managed to build one of those from the sources, but I couldn't get the plug to eat the file via xmodem-upload. Maybe another way to put some life back into a bricked d2plug?

Zortrium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:56 AM »

Bit of a gravedig, but....

I think I'm in a similar situation here.  I just got a Mirabox from Globalscale, and managed in a couple of hours to screw up u-boot by carelessness after months of hacking on GuruPlugs.  Documentation on this thing (both official and otherwise) is basically nonexistent since it just came out, and nothing I've tried has brought u-boot back to life (stuck in a loop of "BootROM: Bad header at offset 00B00000 ..." counting the address space).

I think (but am not 100% sure) that the Mirabox is closer to the d2plug than the GuruPlug (which I have plenty of experience with, as mentioned above), so it seems that there's basically no way at present to restore u-boot?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: