• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: My SheevaPlug is very unstable  (Read 8619 times)
plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 05:01:16 PM »

Hey guys, those who have their Sheevaplug already running for days, how's the temperature of the box?  Though most of us here maybe running the device at less than 75% CPU usage, my concern is whether it needs ACU or room temperature would just be fine.

Im still waiting for my unit to arrive. Purchase to delivery takes 3 weeks.

I just held a digital thermometer to the outside of the case, and it ended up in excess of 102 degress fahrenheit before I got bored. Smiley

That's probably where the heatsink is sitting, though. And, it's OK for the outside of a device to get warm; if it didn't, heat wouldn't be leaving!

Oh, and; I'm not running any AC yet. Ambient temps are in the high 70s.

Hope that info helps!

bfmorgan
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 05:33:07 PM »

I have been running the plug for more than a week and the case temp is at 100oF with the ambient temp of 75.

exdec

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »

My experience:

I switched to running from an 16GB SD card a couple of weeks ago. Everything seemed to be working fine. A couple of days ago I found that the plug wasnt responding. I rebooted and watched the console - it booted the kernel from flash fine but couldnt read the filesystem on the SD card. So I tried removing the SD card and changing the boot to read the rootfs from flash. That didnt work - it had IO errors reading from flash.

To cut a long story short I had to boot from tftp/nfs and reflash the kernel and root filesystem. THe partition table on the SD had been corrupted as well as the rootfs on flash.  I'm concerned that the flash is slowly degrading, so my next step is to run the filesystem from nfs.

timgray

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »

.... and it's a development board.

This exact same hardware is being sold as a commercial product.

PogoPlug.  so I'd not blame it on begin a Dev board when there is a company shipping it as a fully stable product.

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »

.... and it's a development board.

This exact same hardware is being sold as a commercial product.

PogoPlug.  so I'd not blame it on begin a Dev board when there is a company shipping it as a fully stable product.

I don't think your logic follows. If I were to buy a pigeon and sell it as a barn owl, is it really the pigeon's fault that it doesn't feel like catching mice?

Uh, OK, that's as far as I'm taking that analogy. Time for some coffee. Cheesy

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 06:46:04 AM »

In the 2 days I've been playing with it, I've had it stop responding three times, both to IP and to the serial console.  I know of some that found their plug crashed when attaching a usb device.  So far I've not done that.  I am still running the stock software, with the exception that I've added a couple of packages like vim tinyproxy, and ntp.  I didn't run the plug much before installing these packages so it is possible ntp or tinyproxy is bringing it down.  I wasn't attached to the serial console when the last crash happened today, so I don't know if I got any kernel panic messages.  I'll have to keep a better watch.

Anyone else experienced this type of thing?

Try running it without keeping the serial console open.  I found if I started mine (once configured to boot Gentoo and obtain a fixed IP) and accesseed it via SSH and did not have the serial cable attached, it was more stable.  I had previously thought the "reset" problem was a result of the USB hub (see my topic under the Hardware section of this forum), but I realized my stable sessions all were without the serial cable attached.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: