• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kernel 2.6.31-rc1  (Read 1829 times)
avi

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2009, 01:54:03 PM »

Maybe I went too far away, but my first attempt to compile my own kernel for the plug (basically to get bluetooth support) has been with the latest mainline version I found: 2.6.31-rc1. I did it natively (not cross-compile) on a freshly received plug (kernel 2.6.22.18, rootfs on NAND) with the kirkwood_defconfig file that comes with the 2.6.31-rc1 distribution. It compiled fine and after the changes in the u-boot environment parameters I could boot it but... it has some problem with the NAND support: linux boot gets stuck when mounting the root fs on nand with a lot of errors in the console. I used the orion_nand instead of nand_mtd in the bootargs, and I've tried all combination of partitions definition without luck. The only way of getting this kernel work is with the rootfs on an SD. Once that is done and I get a shell, if I try to mount the nand flash I get the same errors I saw before on boot. Any idea? It looks like the orion_nand driver got corrupted in the mainline from 2.6.30 to 2.6.31. Well, or I am doing something wrong, of course.

More info: I've tried other mainline kernels with different results:

2.6.30-rc1: NAND works fine, but I got the SD problem mentioned in other threads (the -110 error)
2.6.30-rc7:no NAND errors, but it does not fully boot with rootfs on NAND (gets stuck). SD does not work either

tinker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »

Did you also build the modules that go with the kernel and install them?

avi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »

No, I left the NAND driver built-in (not as module), as it comes after applying the kirkwood_defconfig. Of course, assuming that the driver is the one I think: "NAND Flash support for Marvell Orion SoC" (MTD_NAND_ORION).

Anyway, it seems there it not much interest in this specific kernel (at least yet), so I went back to 2.6.30-rc1 and I applied by hand the patch for SD cards that is mentioned in other threads (the one that avoids the high speed). This way I got a kernel that works with the NAND and all my SD cards. Then I compiled the bluetooth drivers (my original goal) as modules and everything worked like a charm. Now I am struggling with Java support for Bluetooth in the plug, but this is a different story...  Smiley

Thanks,

A.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: