• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GuruPlug - Ready to give up!  (Read 1981 times)
byteman

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »

I have a GuruPlug Server - PLUS with the JTAG unit which I purchased in Feb. 2010.  I plugged it in when I first purchased it, but the power supply soon failed.  I recently replaced the power supply, it now boots up and serves up the info page as it should.  As I began to search for info on how to setup my application,  I started reading about all of the heat problems these units have.

Rather than modifying it to solve the heat problem so that I can use it and it won't overheat, I'm ready to "throw in the towel".

I'm located in the USA - if anyone can use it and would like to make me a reasonable offer, we can settle up quickly through PayPal and get this unit a good home!

If this violates the terms of this forum, I apologize - moderator please delete my post.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »

well before you give up....do you have the heat problem?

I have one running constantly and yes it is warm but it doesn't cause me any problem.

I would say play with it and see.

Where in the US are you?

byteman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »

I am in Colorado.

I am not prepared to "wait and see" and have another power supply die.  I'm ready to move on to something else.  I would prefer to find a home for this little guy with someone on this forum - this forum has been very helpful to me with my other SheevaPlugs (although power supply problems [http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=5967.0] with the SheevaPlugs also).

Otherwise, I will probably go ahead and list it on eBay.

Thanks...

pacolm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »

Hi,

Read this, maybe you could decrease the heating. http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3322.0.html

I'm using my guruplug server plus with no fan, I simply removed it. I also removed the power supply and replaced it with an external power supply, to do that, I placed a connector in the guruplug case. There are a lot of post of users that 'tuned' the plugs to avoid heating. Mine is working 24x7 as a surveillance system and does not get hot anymore.

Hope it helps!

PacoLM

byteman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:25:31 AM »

I must say that I would be happy if I were able go get the GuruPlug run "not so hot" and easily configure it to function more like a sheevaplug.  But at this stage, when I try to search for instructions to do certain things, I find a myriad of solutions. I'm hesitant to try things for fear that I will brick my plug.  I was fairly comfortable with the sheevaplug and quite frankly when I ordered the guruplug, I expected it to be much like the sheevaplug, but with the addition of wifi and another ethernet port.  For instance, I can't even get it to install "ethtools" - I get:

"E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?"

...but "apt-get update" (etc.)  doesn't work.

Anyway, if I could get it to do the following:

• Boot always to "client mode"
  • Configure the wifi (client) to use a local secured ssid"
  • Be able to install "anything"!
  • Make both ethernet ports so that when you plug them in, they activate and secure an ip address and gateway
  • Make it run not quite so hot

...I would love it, keep it, and would put it to good use!

Thanks - Geoff Campbell

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: