• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: possible FLASH failing?  (Read 1600 times)
ecdowney

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »

I have a dreamplug computer I bought back in September. Recently it has become unreliable. After a boot everything works for a half hour or so and then the load average starts slowly climbing up as high as 50-60 sometimes, it never comes back down. I have not changed my software since last year when things worked properly (and load average stayed around 1-2). I now see "ps ax" shows many processes all with STAT D which generally means "waiting for disk". When I try to cat some of the files these stuck processes are using the cat then also hangs and I can not kill it, the cat also stays forever with STAT D and adds more to the load average. Since disk is really FLASH my guess is the FLASH drive is not working reliably. I have updated all software using "apt-get update" then "apt-get dist-upgrade" and rebooted but it does not help. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ecdowney

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

Me again. Things are getting worse, the unit only runs for a few minutes now then completely locks up, no USB, no ethernet, no WIFI, the only way back up is to cycle power again and again. So now my question is more focused: how do I get this repaired? Is it still under warranty? Thanks.

ecdowney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »

Thanks to everyone for viewing.

I received an email back from Sales@globalscaletechnologies.com confirming my unit is out of warranty and have decided not to invest in repair. It was fun while it lasted.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:21:19 AM »

How about not booting from internal flash? Could you use only the Uboot to boot from USB....if the the UBoot-Part is working
(the part f the flash which the boot parameter is saved in) then it will be an option to use your device.

I got a IB-NAS6210 with bad internal UBIFS (possible a defective flash) - but it could be an option to me to boot
ArchLinux/debian from USB to go around the bad flash.

I think thats the idea behind the microSC in the DreamPlug...when swapped the unit will work like new Smiley and you dont need
more tools for recovering...only a microSD Reader/Writer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: