• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reinstall GuruPlug without JTAG Module  (Read 1074 times)
LavaChild

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:22:42 AM »

From a working (boots and communicates over SSH) GuruPlug (Server Plus), is it possible to reinstall one or more of the following without the need for the JTAG module:

a) U-Boot
b) Kernel
c) RootFS

I have found the 'stock' files for each of these documented on the internet but the instructions use a JTAG module. Can any of the above items be installed without this from a working 'plug? Where possible, can you please give instruction on how to complete this.

Thank you.

LavaChild

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »

Further to this message;

I have received some invaluable assistance from the New IT support forums (thank you!) but I am still some way from feeling confident in how to proceed - Guides tend to be for other plugs, slightly different goals, etc.

To now, I am aware that it is possible to upgrade U-Boot, Kernel *and* RootFS all from JTAG, serial *or* within Linux. The first approach requires the JTAG module which I do not have and would like to avoid purchasing for full price. The second approach requires a serial cable which I do not have. The cost here is not an issue but not knowing exactly what cable and/or connector to use, etc, is a slight issue. I'd consider this option if I had to, but; The third approach is the riskiest but does not require anything new. I'd like to try this approach and obtain the JTAG module or serial cable if things went pear-shaped.

Now the simplest (and my preferred) reinstallation approach is the one outlined here: http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1810.msg5118.html#msg5118

Can anybody give a step-by-step guide for how to flash U-Boot, Kernel and RootFS from within Linux using the images (and possibly the same approach?) as in that article? Is it possible to use that approach 'as is' with mtd-utils? Again, if somebody could give some fuller instructions (or further reference material for me to read) I would be particularly grateful.

Thank you!!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: