• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: booting up - how fast?  (Read 2171 times)
vkashesh

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »

Hi all,
I was under the impression that the plug boots up relatively quickly, but when I tried it with the new plug I received, it took around a minute for me to get the login prompt.
Is there a way to boot up faster than this?

thanks in advance

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 02:24:28 AM »

A Reboot of my system connected via ssh, I can reconnect after about 20 seconds or so.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »

On my plug, running 2.6.30.2 and completely booting from an SDcard, I did a "shutdown -r now", and it took 19 seconds to shut down all my services and drop into Uboot.  It took another 31 seconds to get back to the "login:" prompt on the console (which included a 4 second wait for the USB subsystem to become available, as I auto-mount an external USB drive), and another 6 seconds to finish respawing all the services.  Total time:  56 secs.  It would have been longer had I booted from the internal NAND.

I didn't try a cold start, but I'd say a minute is not unreasonable for a controlled reboot.

vkashesh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »

Thanks!
How can I make my bootup faster? For what I am doing, all I need is to have the ethernet initialized to start talking to another application.  Are there any suggestions?

thanks!

A Reboot of my system connected via ssh, I can reconnect after about 20 seconds or so.

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »

Run less services and system checks for a faster bootup.  Debian default is to run a lot so you will have a full system.  Getting it to a minimalistic busybox shell in a few seconds after power up can be done.  I have an ARM board set up to do just that 1.3 seconds with a modified bootloader and kernel.  If you know the boot sequence fairly well, its easy to knock out what you don't need and get in the seconds.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:50:58 AM »

Try Sheevaplug installer-6 which uses UBIFS as filesystem instead of JFFS2 which is the default that comes with the plug.

Ubifs is massively faster than JFFS2, especially when you mount the rootfs.

vkashesh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:55:36 AM »

Thanks! I will definitely work my way to get that installed and running on my plug.

Try Sheevaplug installer-6 which uses UBIFS as filesystem instead of JFFS2 which is the default that comes with the plug.

Ubifs is massively faster than JFFS2, especially when you mount the rootfs.

vkashesh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »

Hi,
I used the Sheevaplug installer-6 and it is much faster now.
Thanks.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: