• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Slow Transfer Rates?  (Read 1588 times)
colinm

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »

I've finally got my plug set up with a 1TB usb drive hanging off of it, and it's time to really start using it.  Using both samba and sftp are giving me transfer rates of about 300 KB/s.  That seems a little slow to me.  I'm transferring something from PowerBook (802.11g) to the plug, but I know that's not the max rate for wireless.  What have you guys been experiencing? 

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »

Looks like you have two things in play here.
  • How fast you can read from the disk
  • How fast you can transfer over the network
With an external USB-powered USB drive (and a powered-hub) I read from it to the Plug at just under 30MB/s, which is about the same as it delivers to my standard desktop system, so not sluggish there.

Reading a 60MB file from the same filesystem over a Wifi connexion using sftp I get ~1.3MB/s.  This is about the max rate that I've seen my Wifi connexion go.

In both cases I remounted the file systems to flush the buffer caches before testing.  (I could instead have echoed something to /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches to achieve the same, but I'd forgotten about that, and forgotten what to echo as well).

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »

here are my results running 2.6.31-rc5.

Test               To          From
-----------------------------------------
Local I/O       809.0 MB/s   809.0 MB/s
Local Disk       31.0 MB/s    32.9 MB/s
Wirespeed        83.0 MB/s    38.3 MB/s
Network Disk     31.0 MB/s    26.7 MB/s
NFS Disk         24.0 MB/s    21.2 MB/s

running sftp will most likely be limited by the encryption layer not the wifi connection.

colinm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »

By the way, I should mention that I'm a total Linux noob.  Roll Eyes  This is my first linux system and I'm jumping in feet first.  What are some ways of testing connection speeds?

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:34:57 PM »

i used dd (see link in last post). Not a real world test, but testing for maximum transfer rates. Having lots of small files, or random access will provide a different picture. Other tests could be done using bonnie++

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: