• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: uboot does not find eSata drive  (Read 1482 times)
nab

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »

Hi,

I have an eSata Sheevaplug that I use as a server for a year, now.

I always had some trouble booting with the eSata, I had to start a couple of times by powering up the external disk and then the sheevaplug 'till uboot found the disk and booted.

I'm not an expert, but it feels like some timing problem where the Sheevaplug can't find the disk when it spun down and can't start it to spin again.

I was able to start the Sheevaplug like this and it ranfor the last 227 days. Unfortunately, I had to move some furniture around this weekend, so I had to bork my nice sheevaplug uptime by shutting it down, unplugging it, move it around to it's new location, plug it in again and boot...

... and nothing! As much as I tried, I wasn't able to boot again from the eSata connection. I tried with the newit uboot (I think it's the marvell version) and updated with the one from upstream, as advised here:
 http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/
 ( that's the tutorial I followed to install my plug).

From the uboot command line, "ide reset" never found the drive, but I had two different cases, behaviour being constant until next reset of the plug:
 "ide info" finds no drive
 "ide info" finds the drive, displaying it's ID and stuff, but when trying to read from it something (e.g. "ide part"), it doesn't work, with errors like "Device not ready". In this case,

That drive is a WD Caviar Green, which has some specific firmware that might make it spin down more often. From another machine, I tried to change the timeout for the spin down with hdparm, but it didn't help either.

As I use it for my mailserver, I needed it to be running, so it's now running from the USB, as my HDD case also supports this, but has slower access time.

Has anyone had similar problem or has an idea on what I could do to get my eSata back again?

Thanks,

nab

spinifex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

Millions will disagree with this.

1. Disregard http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/
2. Build your own kernel using .config based on www.xilka.com, except change CONFIG_SATA_MV=y
3. Load your kernel uImage from NAND
4. rootfs is the eSATA drive

Works on my eSATA

nab

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I read this solution somewhere already, that kinda consists in moving /boot to the internal MMC memory, right?

Does your uBoot find the eSata drive?

I'm wondering if this would work in my case. I did an experiment, I manually loaded my uImage and uInitrd from tftp. That kernel should be able to find SATA drives. It was the kernel that run for the last 200 days. It didn't find the root drive. Before that, my uboot usually found the disk after some probing and I could boot everything.

So I suspect the problem lies elsewhere. Or is there something different in that process that I haven't understood?

spinifex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »

kinda consists in moving /boot to the internal MMC memory, right?
NAND on my esata sheevaplug

Does your uBoot find the eSata drive?
No

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: