• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [SheevaPlug] Which distro to upgrade to? Running Freeswitch?  (Read 3596 times)
littlebigman

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »

Hello

I'm currently running the stock Ubuntu 9.04 on a SheevaPlug (CPU is ARM926EJ-S rev 1 (v5l)), and have a couple of questions:

• Which distributions are recommended for an upgrade, since newer releases of Ubuntu won't run on that CPU? It looks like most people go for Debian: Is this the case, or should I check other distros?
  • After upgrading the device, I'd like to run Freeswitch: If you use that application, does it run well on the Sheevaplug? If that's the case, any tip on compiling/installing/running Freeswitch is appreciated

Thank you.

littlebigman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:53 AM »

Before I go ahead and try to cross-compile a "Hello, world!", I notice there are two cross-compilers available: CodeSourcery Lite and Embdebian. Which would you recommend I install on a Ubuntu 11.04 build host?

Thanks.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »

Hi,

I am running Freeswitch on a Guruplug using the latest debian.

As you say Ubuntu no longer support that version of the ARM processor but Debian still does

As for compiling I did it on the plug directly (I am booting from an 8Gig USB so space is not an issue)

It does take some time but since I am not smart enough to work out all these cross compiling thingy it has to do for me Smiley

For compiling I simply followed the Freeswithc wiki to install it for a Debian.

Freeswitch runs really well on my guruplug and I am sure it will run as well on your sheevaplug.

apemberton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:56:28 AM »

This is my first post on this forum though not particularly new to Sheevaplugs etc.

I also am running Freeswitch on a Sheevaplug for my home PBX. I origonally compiled version 1.0.4 but I think I am now running 1.0.8. I am using Debian Wheezy with a kernel 3.0.3. I natively compiled with the latest gcc available at the time. The setup has been reliable apart from the sheevaplug PSU failure. I am registered with two SIP providers but my ADSL broadband bandwidth is not good enough to give high quality speech (a rural area). There are 5 SIP phones, a PAP2T, a D-Link VTA box origonlly locked to Vonage but now unlocked to work with the 'plug PBX, an SPA3102 for PSTN access. I have 5 SIP phones attached. At present, I am using SIP protocols so speech uses the Sheevaplug rather than RTP for direct phone to phone connections. As there is only two users here at home, the number of calls is not a problem at present.

initially i did have a compilation error which was due to C type casting that I think was in module 'sofia_mod.c' though it is quite a while since I compiled so I can't be 100% sure.

I would certainly recommend the freeswitch book which is plugged on the freeswitch site. I have made some comments on the NewIT site about Freeswitch also.

There are many bells and whistles I hope to implement though time is a problem! I have recently been exploring the FusionPBX GUI for Freeswitch though my previous experience with FusionPBX wiped out my Freeswitch configuration which I had to regenerate from scratch. I now back up the config before meddling with freeswitch.

I have the feeling there is a Freeswitch repository at 'dotweb.org' but I havn't yet investigated. In any case, that may be for Intel hardware. The FusionPBX site has some installation scripts for both Freeswitch and FusionPBX but they are quite complex and I have not tried anything yet. I need to try these out on a non-live sheevaplug.

Have fun anyway.

Tony Pemberton

littlebigman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »

I also am running Freeswitch on a Sheevaplug for my home PBX. I origonally compiled version 1.0.4 but I think I am now running 1.0.8. I am using Debian Wheezy with a kernel 3.0.3. I natively compiled with the latest gcc available at the time.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll order the book on Freeswitch.

I'd rather cross-compile the distro (Debian, I guess) + Freeswitch on an x86 running Ubuntu 11.04. Is there a tutorial on setting things up?

apemberton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »

I am currently working on FusionPBX as a GUI front end to Freeswitch configuration.

I would not recommend using the FusionPBX/Freeswitch installation shell file 'install_fusionpbx.sh' as indicated in the wiki as it makes quite a lot of assumptions. However looking at the script does help set up things. I am using mysql so I was initially having problems because I had not installed php5-mysql.

Converting from hand crafted .xml configuration files to mysql database is not straightforward. Esentially, FusionPBX sets up the mysql database with default values and that WILL clobber freeswitch's .xml configuration files, so be sure to take an up to date copy of your /usr/local/freeswitch/conf directory. It will be needed to examine your working variables and writing them into the database. I also use Webmin to manually change the mysql Fusionpbx database tables where that is more appropriate.

A very tedious procedure but when done, FusionPBX will make Freeswitch easier to manage and it is a great pity there is not a simple way to provide custom data into the fusionpbx database.

Tony Pemberton

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: