• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NTFS-3G consum 90% CPU power  (Read 7235 times)
Guai888

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:31:14 AM »

Hi Guys.

I updated my plug to 2.6.30.4 Kernel and use apt-get to install Transmission-daemon and NTFS-3G.

I mounted an USB hard drive through NTFS-3G and set Transmission-daemon download directory to the USB hard drive.

I loaded 7 torrents and everything is running fine but I notice something interesting.

mount.ntfs-3g process is taking up a lof of CPU load. When torrents started, the load was 43%. When I woke up in the morning to check again, the CPU loading was around 98% and did not go down.

When I mounted and SD card(FAT32) and use it as Transmission download directory, there was not much CPU load.

Is this normal? Anything I can do to lower the CPU load?

Best Regards

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:44:58 AM »

Ntfs-3g is cpu intensive by nature.  There's not much you can do about it.  The upside is that ntfs-3g seems to work pretty well (compared to ntfs support in the kernel).

Guai888

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:55:07 AM »

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to put the Transmission download directory on SD card then move the file to USB HD after it is complete.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:31:01 PM »

With regards to Guai888's question about possible ways of lowering the CPU load, if there is no compelling reason to to use an NTFS file system, you could always reformat your hard drive partition to something else -- say ext2 or ext3, or even one of the many other speciality FSs out there.  They all have their plusses and minuses, and high overhead is one of the ntfs-3g negatives (due to the fact that is uses FUSE and a user-level process to do it's dirty work.

Guai888

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »

Some additional information about NTFS-3G performance issue

I read in NTFS-3G support forum:

http://forum.ntfs-3g.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1226

Some people also complaining that copy performance degrade when he upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) to Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and he is using a PC.

I will try to follow the advice given in the article and report back the result.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »

Did Gutsy support writing to NTFS FSs?  The first Ubuntu I remember being able to mount NTFS rw on was Hardy.  Initially, Linux got read support for NTFS, and I think this was in the kernel.  Then 3G evolved -- slower because of its FUSE interface, but capable of both reading and writing.

BTW, earlier today, someone sent me the following eye-opening link.  Of course, it has nothing to do with the Plug, but since we are talking NTFS...

http://www.heysoft.de/en/information/ntfs-ads.php?lang=EN

Guai888

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »

Some update,

I defrag the NTFS drive but it dose not help with the performance much.

At that point, I change the file system to FAT32. Everything run great, the CPU loading is back to where I expect it to be.

There is only one problem with FAT32: The file can not be larger than 4G.

At the end, I decide to use Ext4. Access from Windows will just have go through Samba.

I can only get my transfer speed in Samba to 10Mb ( I have already set socket option = TCP_NODELAY). I wonder if anyone have been able to bring it up to 20 to 25Mb.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »

I can only get my transfer speed in Samba to 10Mb ( I have already set socket option = TCP_NODELAY). I wonder if anyone have been able to bring it up to 20 to 25Mb.
10MB/s (I presume) is what you will get through a 100Mb/s network link.  The Plug has 1 Gb/s port, but what about the router you plug it into?  If that (or the Windows client system) is only 100Mb/s then you can't expect, nor get, > 10MB/s via Samba.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 12:28:14 AM »

i reach 20MB/sec using NFS. Not gigantic but fast enough for single user.

performancewise smb/cifs is not the best protocol. Saturating a gigabit Link won't be possible, because the plug has no datasource (besides /dev/zero) that could possibly keep up with it. USB is limited to 480Mb/sec, i guess the sdhc even lower (i guess class 6 card would be around 80Mb/s)

i tested and got the following results with a 2.6.31 kernel and ext4

Test               To          From
-----------------------------------------
Local I/O       809.0 MB/s   809.0 MB/s
Local Disk       31.0 MB/s    32.9 MB/s
Wirespeed        83.0 MB/s    38.3 MB/s (no idea why asymetric)
Network Disk     31.0 MB/s    26.7 MB/s
NFS Disk         24.0 MB/s    21.2 MB/s

detailed testinformation at http://www.held-im-ruhestand.de/software/sheevaplug/benchmarks

and there is a benchmark set with an older kernel at
http://www.computingplugs.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Performance

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: