• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Garbled text during debian installer... Need help!  (Read 2279 times)
cbr600f4i

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »

Hey guys...

So I *finally* got around to trying to do something with my plug (I have one of the original, first batch Marvell Sheeva Plugs...) Decided to try to get a more modern version of OS on it, so I started going through the steps found here:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Installing_Debian_To_Flash

I've grabbed the latest version (3.1.4) of the Sheeva Kernel, v 3.4.19 of uBoot, and the latest stable versions of the Sheeva Installer stuff...

All has gone well until I get to the "Run the Debian Installer" step. When I do the bootm command at the end, I see the linux package uncompressing and starting (everything looks fine.) But when it launches the actual install program, all the text is totally garbled and unreadable. I can't tell what any of the options are saying to know how to answer the questions. It's like totally the wrong ASCII characters and such.

Any ideas how to fix/get around this???

I'm connecting via the JTAG interface, using OSX running screen with the following parameters:

screen -fn /dev/cu.usbserial-FTS046T5B 115200

I could use some help!

Thanks guys!

--Mike

cbr600f4i

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »

Also, I should mention that I've tried both the most recent build (dated 10 Dec 2011) of uImage and uInitrd, as well as the most recent "stable" versions, dated 10 May 2011.

Same results with both...

cbr600f4i

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »

Ok, nevermind! Turns out it's OSX's screen app not being able to handle the term encoding used by the debian installer...

I fiddled around with a couple other 3rd party ones and FINALLY got something that kinda worked. Wasn't 100% but was good enough that I could at least start the install process.

cbr600f4i

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »

Just incase anyone stumbles upon this later -

I ONLY ran into this issue when I was running the debian installer and it seemed to have to do with the terminal emulation handling. What I ended up doing was using screen to halt the boot process. Then closed the screen and switched over to using SyncTERM to connect to the port and it, while still pretty messed up, at least let me make enough of it understandable to do the install.

As soon as the install process was done, I switched back to screen to do the rest of the OS update...

Now if I could just understand the last step where it says to "update the kernel"... sigh

cbr600f4i

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:11 AM »

And, I figured out the last step... (sorry it was REALLY late and I was beat at that point...)

Now to figure out how to get zoneminder working on it...

pacolm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »

Now to figure out how to get zoneminder working on it...

Here I could point you to these links:

http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/ZoneMinder -> basic guide to install zoneminder from resositories (1.24)
http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=5956.0 -> complete guide to install Zoneminder 1.25 from scratch

I have two guruplugs working with Zoneminder (V1.24 and V1.25). If you need help, do not hesitate to ask for it!

Hope it helps,

PacoLM

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: