• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two plugs found dead in Mexico  (Read 2180 times)
byteman

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »

I'm in Mexico at a friends house - he has two original sheevaplugs which were monitoring his house (temperature and motion), which are now dead.  We get the green light (steady), no blue light, and steady ethernet lights (no blinking ever).  I've read elsewhere in this forum that this is usually a problem with the power supply.

So I pulled the power supplies and took pictures - you can see brown goop all over the place, but I have nothing to compare to.  I have no tools down here other than a multimeter - pin 1 and 4, pin 2 & 3 inputs all show 5 volts.

If I could narrow down the problem, I'm sure I could find someone here in town to do some soldering, but don't know where to start from here.  Any suggestions?

byteman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »

OK, I brought the two plugs back home from Mexico, ordered two power supplies from GlobalScale, waited two weeks for them to ship, installed the new power supplies, and presto - everything works!

To recap, I've bought two Sheevaplugs, one in Dec-2009 and one in Mar-2010.  Both have been in use constantly since purchase, and both power supplies obviously died. Can't imagine that my experience is that much of an anomaly.

Sure home they have fixed whatever the problem was with the original PS's.

noidea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »

Hello! I made this thread over a year ago describing the same issues. I tested the power supply, and it showed that it was working fine - something I think I'm reading from the original post? I even built an htpc to serve the function I was using my sheevaplug for, and a few extra goodies - just because I didnt want to have to deal with Global Scale again.

Depending on the price of the power supply and the shipping costs, I may purchase one and attempt to revive my year-gone sheeva!
ehhh. Turns out its ~$13 USD for the power supply and another $12 for shipping. I don't know if I can justify that...

Thanks so much for posting this!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: