• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question regarding the Guruplug  (Read 2833 times)
amrogers3

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »

Hello, I am new to this board. From what I have read, I believe the sheevaplugs/guruplugs only support a modified version of an OS on a ARM architecture such as Debian, http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/armel/ and I am not sure an application written for a x86 intel platform will work on this sheevaplug ARM architecture without modifying the application, is that correct?

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »

... and I am not sure an application written for a x86 intel platform will work on this sheevaplug ARM architecture without modifying the application, is that correct?
Only if you've written some hardware architecture-specific code into the application.
Otherwise you will have to compile and link it for ARM, but not modify anything.

amrogers3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:31:39 AM »

... and I am not sure an application written for a x86 intel platform will work on this sheevaplug ARM architecture without modifying the application, is that correct?
Only if you've written some hardware architecture-specific code into the application.
Otherwise you will have to compile and link it for ARM, but not modify anything.

Thanks for reply birdman. So, if I understand correctly, I can run any application on the Guruplug that I could run on a regular install of Debian running on a X86 motherboard?  Just as long as I compile it on the Guruplug (./configure, make, make install)?

The application that I am specifically wanting to use on the Guruplug is OSSEC http://www.ossec.net.

amrogers3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »

Can anyone confirm that the GuruPlug will run any application that would run on a regular install of Debian running on a X86 motherboard? I am concerned that software that will run on ARM architecture will not run on x86 and vice versa.

If software on x86 mobo will run on Guruplug, would I would have to compile it on the Guruplug using ./configure, make, make install?

The application that I am specifically wanting to use on the Guruplug is OSSEC http://www.ossec.net.

Thanks.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:27:40 AM »

You have nothing to worry about.  The C/C++ compiler takes care of the architecture specific code.  C/C++ is inherently cross-architecture.  Bugs in the compiler could potentially cause a package to mis-compile on one platform or the other, but gcc is pretty stable on arm and definitely stable on x86 and x86_64.

Since I had a bit of time on my hands waiting for code to compile on one of my machines I downloaded ossec on my Sheeva and compiled it no problem.  Just read their INSTALL doc and you'll be fine.

Plug computers should be great for something like ossec.  You don't need much in the way of processing power.

amrogers3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »

Since I had a bit of time on my hands waiting for code to compile on one of my machines I downloaded ossec on my Sheeva and compiled it no problem.  Just read their INSTALL doc and you'll be fine.

Plug computers should be great for something like ossec.  You don't need much in the way of processing power.

You sir, just made my day. Now I won't have to spend $$$ on a new server just to run OSSEC. Thanks again for taking the time to check compatibility and respond to my post.   Grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: